Chapter 20

Throughout the evening before the dinner Lily had stuck with Janine helping her decipher who was the best for her to have a good night with. Throughout the evening Lily had also learned some interesting facts about Janine which had very great meaning to Lily.

But, she would save that for another time.

Lily stood in between Sherlock and Janine as they welcomed the guest into the reception. Lily smiled when she saw some familiar faces coming into the crowd.

"David!" Mary smiled. She reached out to give him a hug, but one very big smile from Lily and he pulled back in a haste to create space.

David smiled timidly, "Mary. Congratulations. You look, um, very nice. John, congratulations. You're a lucky man."

John smiled at him and shook his hand, "Thank you."

Mary chuckles awkwardly before moving him down to where Lily and Sherlock were. Lily smiled a little wider.

"Um, er, David, this Sherlock and Lily."

David looked from the two in fear, "Um, yeah. We've, um, we've met."

Back in 221B previous days before the wedding a nervous David sits at the dining table in the flat. Lily sits across from him with a stoic face, just staring. Sherlock stands behind her, except his face holds less of a glare.

"So, what exactly are my duties as an usher?" David asks.

Lily shakes her head, "Let's talk about Mary."

"Sorry, what?"

"Oh, I think you know what." Sherlock quipped, "You went out with her for two years."

David laughed nervously, "A-ages ago. Were ju-"

"Just good friends?" Lily asked. She tilted her head to the side, "Is that a fact?"

Sherlock smiled sarcastically, "Whenever she tweets, you respond within five minutes regardless of time or current location, suggesting you have her on text alert. In all your Facebook photographs of the happy couple, Mary takes the center frame while John is always partly or entirely excluded."

"You can't assume from that I've still got some kind of interest in Mary." David replies.

Lily chuckles, "You volunteered to be a shoulder to cry on, on no less than separate occasions. Do you have anything to say in your defense?"

David struggles over his words. Sherlock nods, pulling out a note and looking at it, "I think we'll downgrade you to 'casual acquaintance'. No more than three planned social encounters a year, and always in John's presence."

"Oh, and," Lily adds, "We have your contact details. I specifically will be monitoring."

David stares between both with fearful eyes, "They're right about you two. You're both bloody psychopaths."

Lily laughs, throwing her head down, "Oh no, high-functioning sociopaths. With your number."

Lily held her smile until David disappeared through the wedding's reception doors. Her smile dropped, "Where was he today?" She whispered to Sherlock.

"Hotel, no need to worry." Sherlock responded.

"Hello, Archie!" Mary cheered.

But, Archie doesn't pay attention to her, instead he runs over to Lily in a great big hug. Lily stands there for a moment with a perplexed look before awkwardly patting the boy's head. Sherlock looks down in confusion at the display of affection.

"Um, well done in the service Archie." Lily mumbles.

"He's really come out of his shell." A woman comes over, Lily's eyes widen as she looks at the woman. Archie's mother. "I don't know how you did it."

Lily nods her head a little, "Um.."

Lily sat in Sherlock's chair looking over at Archie. Sherlock and John had run out on a case, Mrs. Hudson was out, and for whatever reason had decided that Lily was in the proper training to take care of a child.

A very living, very breathing, child.

"You'll have to smile. Then hand off the rings." Lily stares.

"No."

"And you have to wear the outfit." Lily nods.

"No."

Lily groans at the boy, children were such hassle, "Grown-ups like that sort of thing, don't argue over stupid traditions."

"Aren't you a grown up?" Archie asked.

Lily shakes her head, "Far from it."

Archie tilts his head, "But, you're a detective?"

Lily looks up at the ceiling, "Sort of. Sherlock is the detective, but I would say i'm rather good myself."

"Have you solved any murders?"

Lily nods, "Sure."

Archie sits up straighter in his chair, "Can I see?"

Lily smiles at the boy with a new found liking. Maybe not all children were a hassle. "Of course, let me teach you how to decipher choking from drowning!"

"He said you would show him pictures, as a treat?" Archie's mom asked, looking at Lily. Even Sherlock had looked down at her now.

Lily nodded slowly, "Yes, if he behaves."

Lily watched as Archie looked up at his mom, "Be-headings."

She took a cough over Archie's words as his mother looked up with concern, "Lovely village. Where I grew up! Oh, look at the time, you must find your seat, Archie behave, bye!"

Lily stands straight with a breath as Sherlock leans down to her ear. "You showed a child the photos of our cases."

"Yes?"

"Lily, he's a child. You're not supposed to be showing children murders."

Lily glares at him, "Well what else was I supposed to do with the boy, it's not as if I could take him with us on the case you so readily left me for."

"Lily-"

"I promised stab wounds and that's it."

Sherlock sighed, "You really are clueless about decent manners."