CHAPTER 12

Chapter 12

                      Jahnoi's pov

  I push all the negative things people would say if they knew I was associating with a gay man and focus on the problem at hand. Tyrel took off the dark brown blanket he had thrown over him and began going through his bag as soon as we reach the landing at the top of the stairs. I open my room door and sat down in the doorway to pull off my size ten boots, I made to ask him where his baby was but he spoke.

"Dis a di two mil wey Ms. Olivia gi mi back fi last month and dis a two hundred grand from di boss store a di bottom wey always pay late," Tyrel says handing me two big envelopes.

  I took them and set them aside before asking him. "A who name Ms. Olivia?"

  He looked at me questioningly before answering. "Di plantain lady wey sell a di front a di market wey Theous always buy plantain from."

I had so many questions to ask him but seeing his troubled eyes I ask him. "Yuh eat from day?"

  As if on cue his belly grumbled causing me to laugh. "Tsk ahh buoi," he hiss sayings and lean against the railing of the stairs.

  I took up the envelopes with the money he gave me and told him to come inside, I do not know why I trust him. It must be because he had helped me and Timera every evening with our homework and I had managed to pass seven CXC subjects through his constant teaching, I share a plate of the brown stew chicken and rice I had cooked for dinner that evening in a plastic plate and give to him.

"Thanks."

"Juice or water?" I ask him.

"Tea please, no milk," he says.

  I went and made a cup of red rose tea-bag tea and brought it to him, he ate and belch telling me that I had saved his life. "From yesterday evening a di first mi a eat somn," he tells me.

  I took the keys for Theous's room, open the door and say. "Come in a yuh man room."

  He push his head looking inside the room as I sat on Theous's bed. "Buoy room nice though," he says looking through to the bedroom.

  Theous had two beds, but he scarcely sleeps in his bedroom. He slept on this double bed because he could hear if police or anyone came into the yard, so he can hide the guns and he didn't want any woman in his bedroom so he fucks them on this bed. He had some weird beliefs and customs, some I will never fully understand.

"Puggy yuh phone a ring," Tyrel says snapping me out of my reverie and I got up.

  It was my uncle telling me of the arrival dates for the first set of my families that will be arriving for Theous's setup and funeral, I wanted to cry from all the hurt I was feeling. I never knew I'd feel so alone without my only brother and that he is truly dead. My eyes land on Tyrel's notes and I turn and went back out from my living area.

"Come in, tell mi why yuh fraid a Telephone, tell mi everything," I say to him and he came in and stood just inside the room.

"Sidung nuh," I tell him when he remain standing while I sat back down on Theous's bed.

  I waited patiently on him to start speaking and he says. "Well Theous come to mi one night him alone and tell mi sey him want mi duh somn fi him, him gi mi fifty thousand dollars and sey when Sulay have baby-"

"Wha?!" I ask in shock. "Sulay?" I ask knowing exactly what he was going to answer and say.

"Yes, di baby wey mi have a Sulay baby, but yuh caan mek Roxy know cause shi goodly kill har and kill mi tuh. Mi guh uptown guh stay fi three months wid har up a one house and den me carry di baby down and as yuh know everybody think mi breed one a di whore dem, or one a di whore dem gi mi dem unwanted baby fi tek. Him tell mi fi guh collect all a di extortion money from the bottom store dem a month time and mi dress up and guh, mi gi Ms. Olivia it fi keep after mi tek out forty grand fi di baby and him guh buy plantain and collect it from har," he explains.