{4.01}

WHEN THE BERG HAD gotten back to their temporary home, Eden simply walked out and shut herself into her house, not uttering a word to anyone. Through the two days that they were there while the Right Arm readied themselves for the boat trip, she had been visited periodically by someone every hour. The company originally annoyed her, she had just wanted to be alone in her misery but after a while it became a comfort to know that she was not going through everything alone and there were people who could help - not that she would reach out to them. She remained silent through the 48 hours, just staring at all the forgotten memoires that lingered in her home. His frayed scarf, shirt hung on the door to dry and dozens of other small things that only further broke her heart.

Before the ship left for the safe haven, she was forced to pick the things she wanted to bring with her. An area that she did not want to disturb let alone leave had to be ransacked for all her belongings and the things she wanted to keep. Her new living space would not smell like him, would not be covered in the small nick nacks that he collected to decorate their home. She packed all his things into a bag, a bag which never left her person until they arrived at the safe haven. She did not remove it until her house had been built- a house conveniently placed onto the beach and a five minute walk from the medical room.

Eden sat on the beach of the safe haven, hugging her legs with arms dotted with goosebumps from the cold that she did not even notice. She stared out at the waves with intense focus, watching as they swirled and combined the foam into the prettiest of pictures. Hair blew in front of her face but she did not care to notice, feeling far too numb on the inside to care about the outside.

"Eden," Frypan called softly, sinking down into the sand next to her. As she did not acknowledge his existence, Frypan took to gently shaking her arm. But when his hand clasped around her arm, he found himself flinching at the cold surface. "Eden you're freezing." She shook her head, still looking out onto the swirling sea as if it would better how she felt inside. Frypan pulled off his own coat and draped it around her shoulders, pulling it close around her middle to keep the heat in as much as possible. "Come on, we need to warm you up. Can't have you getting sick."

"Okay," Eden murmured, finally pulling her attention away from the sea. As soon as she did, the debilitating thoughts flooded back in with such intensity that she could hear the panicked, rapid beating of her heart thrashing in her ears.

"Let's get you inside," Fry replied with a reassuring smile as he gently helped her up, heading to her hut. Inside, he grabbed all the blankets he could find and wrapped her shoulders in them all while Eden stared into space, standing in the middle of the room as she fought a battle with her heavy eyes which threatened to close at any moment. "When did you last get any sleep?" Frypan asked while rubbing her shivering arms up and down in order to create some form of heat.

"I don't know," she whispered back, hugging her arms around herself under the blankets as she sat on the very edge of her messy bed. "Every time I close my eyes I see..." she trailed off, tears brewing in her eyes once more. Before they could even fall, he hugged her tightly and smoothed the back of her hair down with his hand, comforting her gently. "I can't..."

"I know I know..." he responded, still remaining to comfort until the very second that she went to pull away. "But you need sleep to function, Eden."

"I don't want to see it again," she whispered back with a raw emotion that ached something within his soul. He hadn't ever imagined her to be in a state, let alone the broken, numb and exhausted shell she had become. 

"Try and think of something else," he suggested softly, not quite knowing what else he could do to help.

Eden nodded and layed down, tugging on the blanket so it covered up to her shoulders. She was already beginning to feel the heat pocket forming around her body, somewhat dulling the goosebumps that littered her arms. "Don't leave?" she whispered, turning her head so she could look at him.

Frypan, noticing the strain on her neck, crouched down to be level with her, "I'll be here when you wake up, I promise."

Eden nodded then let her eyes slip close, fearing the sight that bore into the back of her eyelids. Her body slipped into sleep so quickly that she did not have too long to think about it yet her nightmares were still haunted with the memory.

AS SHE WOKE THE NEXT MORNING, a certain relief swept through her mind at the feeling of not being utterly exhausted. She even found herself smiling briefly at the sight of Frypan sleeping in the armchair across from the room, a candle still burning next to him. She blew out the flame, covered Fry with a blanket then walked out into the cold.

She took a long shower, using the time to think relatively clearly for once. It seemed Fry had the right idea with sleep. After her shower, she wandered around for around an hour just watching the goings on of the safe haven. She had not been fully aware of her surroundings beforehand and found it utterly fascinating to watch everyone's day unfold. Then, she wandered into Thomas' recovery hut. Celia had been looking after him and keeping Eden updated despite the fact she did not respond to the chatter so she knew how he was doing and the full extent of his injuries.

Thomas had been unconscious since he first passed out, body needing the time to recover. So Celia had kept him sedated and periodically checked on his wound. He had succumbed to an infection due to how he had obtained the wound but thankfully it was not life threatening and could easily be cured with the correct antibiotics - which Celia had also been administering. Eden, as she sat in the chair next to Thomas's bed, noticed how his eyes were beginning to crease as if he was squeezing them in pain. She turned to the medical table and picked up a fresh syringe filled with fast acting painkillers. She did not want him to be in incredible pain once he woke.

"Good morning," she whispered as his eyes opened, blinking repetitively as his eyes adjusted to the light. "You're safe Thomas," she added quickly, noticing the incredibly panicked, confused and frightened look in his eyes.

He relaxed then, slowly moving himself up to sit - which didn't cause much pain due to the pain relief flooding his veins. She watched as the memories started to come flooding back, tears clouding his eyes. "I'm so sorry Eden," he whispered, clearing his throat of its hoarseness after not having used his voice for so long.

"There's no point in being sorry Thomas. I forgave you the instant you said he asked you to," she paused, swallowing deeply. "I'm glad you did. I didn't want him to suffer...And plus, I would have just let you bleed out if I hated you for it. "

Thomas cracked a smile but Eden could not bring herself to mirror it, still feeling utterly awful inside.