{3.14}

GALLY KEPT MOVING AT A SWIFT PACE, trying to get her as far away as he possibly could as he had promised earlier in the Wicked building. The only issue was, Eden was trying absolutely everything to prevent that. In her furied, harrowing state she did not care about the pain she caused him - as awful as it was. She had priorities and that was getting back to her person for the time when he needed her most.

Finally, after minutes of attack, she managed to hit a spot in his gut that had him buckling instantly. The groan of pain he emitted had her guilty conscious becoming prominent for just a second, before it was replaced with the intense need to find Newt.

As she ran, a scream she recognised instantly stilled her movements. Her blood ran cold, hairs standing up on end. She slowly moved around the corner, forcibly edging her body forward to see what she did not believe had happened.

Everything stopped. Including her heart.

He lay on the floor of what would be a busy street, hair flopping in the wind. That was the only part of his body that moved. She edged closer, mouth partially open as shallow breaths flooded through her lips. The closer she got, the more details she could see. Like the blade stuck out of his chest, the end buried deep within his lungs. The dark veins that were now made of him, not the other way around. How Thomas silently wept at the sight before them, only noticing Eden's presence when she walked past him. But mostly, she saw the lifelessness within his eyes. The part of him that she had loved the absolute most that had lived behind his eyes, now fizzled out as if water had been tipped onto the fire.

"I had to Eden," thomas whispered as Eden stared at the knife, her shaking hand coming up to cover her mouth as she dropped to her knees besides him. Everything blurred apart from his lifeless eyes. Her person. Gone. "He asked me to."

"I don't..." Eden stammered as she took one of his hands in hers, flinching at how cold and limp it felt. She dropped it almost as soon as she picked it up, instead using the hand to press hard on her stomach to feel some other type of pain.

In an instant, as if her mind had caught up with everything before her. A raw, swift gut wrenching instant, her entire life stopped and flipped into a completely opposite version.

"Newt?" the words left her body like a whisper despite the fact she wanted to scream it and any other cognitive thought that actually made it into her perplexed mind. She had half expected herself to be in a nightmare, a stupid nightmare that she could leave and be happy again outside of it. Eden rolled the skin of her forearm between two of her fingers repeatedly until the skin was almost purple with the brute force of her need to be dreaming.

She was not dreaming.

"Newt?" the whisper came again, this time almost begging as she slowly looked at his still figure up and down. His hair still blew in the breeze, sprawling all over his face sporadically - in the very way they had once laughed about in Jorge's car. She did not want to check his pulse, it would only confirm the horror that shook her hands and eradicated all happiness from her thoughts.

She could tell by the veins on his face, the darkness that surrounded his mouth. This was no longer Newt. No longer her Newt, whose face screwed up in the most adorable way when he laughed. This was an empty shell, an infected shell without the happiness that had once resided there.  A raw, horace scream escaped her throat as she desperately clawed at the lifeless body, wanting it all to be fake. It should be a figment of her imagination, right? Fate owed them a happy ending. It had screwed them over in so many ways that they deserve the happiness. They deserved it over everyone else. She deserved her person back and he deserved to live, given all he had been through to convince himself to try and live again. He had worked too hard to have it all struck away in this way. She wanted, no she needed more for him. More than she needed him just for herself.

Thomas clawed her away from the body. He had to, he made a promise that he was not about to break.

  "Promise me something Tommy,?" Newt asked, the tone of their conversation instantly turning into one of complete seriousness. A tone which Thomas was not particularly partial to, given the circumstances and what was ahead of them in the building they were about to sneak into with Teresa's help.

Thomas chuckled nervously, looking down to the gun in his hand to try and relive some of the tension between his shoulders. "I can try."

"Get Eden out and away from everything even if I don't get out alive.''

Thomas' gaze softened along with his voice,"You'll make it Newt.''

"If I don't," he paused, biting back the fear that idea presented. He had full faith that Eden was going to fix it, as she had said, but needed the guarantee that if that did not occur she would be okay. "Promise?"

"I swear I will."

"Oh and..." he paused, pulling a black cord from around his neck "Could you also give her that?"

Thomas nodded and took the necklace, relying on it around his own neck where it would be the safest. He would tell Gally of the trinket and the plan to get Eden out just in case something happened to him that meant he would not be able to do so himself. "You'll live Newt," Thomas reassured as he did so, making sure the knot was tight.

Newt chuckled, "I bloody well hope so."

Thomas and Eden both stood away from the body but still remained to stare at it, thousands of thoughts fighting violently for attention within their minds.

Eden's legs buckled completely due to the utter heartbreak wracking her soul. Thomas managed to catch her before she got too close to the ground, wrapping his arms around her protectively as wails of grief rocked her lungs.

She looked back at the body and all the possibilities for the future disappeared. The growing old together, sharing of memories, the possibility of whatever their future was supposed to be. Gone, in an instant.

The cure, bright blue against the surface of Brenda's hand, entered Eden's peripherals. Far too late now.