{2.10}

EDEN WOKE WHEN THE OTHERS were still asleep. Her room back in the glade had curtains which often remained closed so her body was not used to sleeping in such high intensity light that came with the mornings. She managed to untangle herself from Newt's vice like hug, which was met with sleepy protestments before he fell unconscious again. She crawled out from underneath the overhang and looked around at the rubble that they had practically fallen down the night previous. She smiled out of relief upon not seeing a single Crank in sight.

Slowly, everyone began to wake up beginning with Thomas who then yelled at a thieving bird that had delved into his pack. Once they had gotten their barings and somewhat come out of exhaustion states, the group ate a small amount of their food supply to get enough energy for the hike in front of them. Eden, after passing the water bottle back to Newt, walked over to Winston and began to delicately remove his bandages to check how the injuries were underneath. She tried desperately to keep a inconspicuous look on her face, without a smile nor a frown, but the longer that she looked at the wounds the harder it became to do so. It was immediately obvious to her that he wouldn't see that night as a sane human. After she had given the okay, the group all began to walk and progressed their trip to the mountains.

They all walked up the nearest cliff, making slow and quiet movements as they heard the distant snarls of Cranks somewhere ahead. No one could see any cranks surrounding them but - knowing the risks - they were all being incredibly careful. Once they reached the top of the cliff, the group all stopped and peered at the sight before them. Miles and miles of abandoned city stretched in front of them, land which had been inhabitable for years on end. "Woah," she muttered, sighing deeply as uncomfortably hot air brushed against her face.

"Yeah woah," Newt whispered back, staring just as intensely at the city before them as everyone else did. After a moment's pause, where they had all stared at the mountains in the distance that could only just be seen, they started off again.

She, while walking on her own as she needed some space to think, made sure to keep an eye trained on Winston - for his well being and just to make sure he wasn't too far gone to the point where it came dangerous to others. Aris ran forward a few meters to catch up to her, quickly meeting her quickened steps. "Is he dying?" he asked abruptly, looking toward Winston as if she did not know what he was talking about.

Eden frowned, hesitant as to whether she should actually tell him the truth or not. Aris seemed to already know what the facts were anyway, she simply felt that he was just looking for confirmation. "Yes but don't tell anyone, I don't want him to panic," she blurted at a whisper, simply wanting to get it all off her chest. She would tell Winston at the time it made the most sense, for him mainly.

"I won't," Aris promised with a slight reassuring smile. From then on, the two walked alongside each other and simply talked about anything and everything. It made the awful and painstaking walk just that little bit easier as their chatter became a distraction away from the pain. She enjoyed talking to Aris in an unexplainable kind of way, it was almost refreshing to get to talk to someone with a completely different background to what she had - in the maze and glade sort of way.

"What the hell happened to this place?" Frypan wondered aloud as they walked down a road that stretched straight through the main part of the city - as they suspected anyhow.

"I don't know, but it doesn't look like anyones been here for a long time."

Eden became suddenly distracted by a dark green car with the boot open. She strayed from the group and walked toward it, beginning to dig through the various supplies underneath various scratchy blankets. She had simply seen a medical sign, typical to first aid kids, and impulsively checked it out. She dug through the contents of the med kit without much care for her surroundings, finding bandages which then found their way into her bag along with multiple boxes of undamaged painkillers and a few syringes with near empty vials.