{3.13}

THEY COLLECTIVELY RAN as fast as their bodies would allow them to, which for Newt was much slower than usual. He, oddly however, no longer had to be so concerned with his limp. It seemed the infection had almost fixed it - which was of the utmost peculiarity to Eden for the brief moment that she focused on it. She just assumed that there was some sort of strain within the crank DNA that removed it completely.

"How far are the tunnels?" Thomas asked Gally as they paused in their progression forward, their backs resting against the backs of planters in order to keep themselves hidden as much as possible.

"Maybe twelve blocks from here," Gally responded apprehensively, looking in the direction that they were heading. Newt stole all Eden's attention as coughs wracked his lungs. She rubbed his back softly as he coughed, hating that she could not do anything to help him. "We can make it."

"Newt, how you feeling?" Minho asked, his eyes wider than usual.

"Terrible," Newt replied, breathing heavily and panning with pain. Then, oddly, he always chuckled and thumped Minho on the shoulder, "It's good to see you though."

Thomas, after a brief conversation with Gally that Eden could not hear, scooped his arms under Newts and helped him from the ground. Newt instantly lost his footing and fell forward, Thomas catching him before he tumbled to the ground. Eden turned to Gally with wide eyes as she stood too.

"How long?" Gally mouthed directly to her, making sure no one else saw his concern.

Eden shrugged then slowly mouthed back, "Soon." The truthful response pinched painfully at her heart,  she had no idea what else to do now. They either made it or they didn't.

AS THEY FURTHER PROGRESSED through the allied in city, avoiding soldiers and random people throughout their entire journey, suddenly everything didn't look to be so peaceful. A catastrophic explosion rocked the floor their stood on as a hole was made in the middle of the wall. They all stopped, Thomas and Minho supporting Newt, and stared at the fire as it bloomed between the gap.

Gally was rather bewitched by the sight, his eyes telling the story of a thousand words. "Gally come on," Eden whispered, placing a hand on his shoulder to pull him out of whatever trance he had entered.

They hurried through at a quicker speed now with the new threat. Long forgotten adrenaline had finally worked on Newt and for a moment, he could function again. He was still supported by the others but was able to keep his footing mostly, instead of just being dragged along. While this phenomenon occurred, he kept his soul focus on Eden. He took one last look at her in a relatively normal environment and committed it to the deepest part of his brain, knowing now that he would never see her happy again.

The five were forced to come to a stop behind a planter, watching as guarded guards and more soldiers started to line the streets. They were absolutely everywhere and they had no chance of escaping them. Well that's what had been the thought before the ultimate distraction occurred. People from outside the wall stormed down the street, heading straight into the path of bullets, bombs and grenades from the Wicked soldiers who were going all they could to keep them out. Bullets flew everywhere, so intently that the five had to lay on the ground behind the planter to even have the smallest chance of survival. Somehow, they all managed to get out of it unscathed and moved forward in the direction the outsiders had stormed from, keeping low and hidden at all points.

"All right. Newt, we're almost there!" Gally yelled over all the commotion, finally feeling as if they were close enough to actually make it in time. Before he had been completely hopeless but still kept moving as if he wasn't, like someone else within the group.