{2.17}

"LOVE."  Newt's softened voice broke through Eden's haze of sleepiness, pulling her out of her slumber. His heart flipped at the sleepy smile that found its way onto her face and the feeling only intensified when she slowly stretched out her arms. She, after raising her head from his shoulder, slid out of the car and began to stretch off the further sleepiness in her legs. Eden yawned, still feeling groggy, as Newt shut the car door and began to walk towards where all the others had gathered. From what she could see, they had been forced to stop in a place that was not their destination but rather a spot in the mountains that had a certain unshakable eerie feel to it.

"Well, I guess we're on foot," Jorge sighed before stepping forward, taking the smallest of steps that clearly showed his apprehension - to those who cared enough to notice it. The group slowly followed Jorge through the cars, gradually splitting apart as much as the cramped road would allow them to as they all looked through the various abandoned cars that blocked their way. Dust swelled from one car after Jorge had rifled through some dusty fabrics in the back of it. Eden could not help but feel unsettled by the scattering stones and crows cawing above them, almost acting as a warning that she could not ignore.

A gunshot zipped through the air all too suddenly. The previous grogginess that Eden had felt within her mind left at an instant, being replaced by pure fear as a bullet zipped through the air sounding ever so close to her ear. "Get down!" Jorge yelled as if they weren't already doing so. Eden, Newt, Fry and Minho dropped down behind one of the cars, positioning themselves in such a way that their heads did not poke up where it would be visible. They pushed themselves together all ducking as two more shots followed. Then came silence, but for the rapid rate of exhalation they were all experiencing.

"Hey is everyone okay out there?" Thomas yelled once the gunshots had ceased for at least thirty seconds, his back pressed firmly against the car behind him as the second set of shots had only come due to his curiosity.

"We're fine!" Teresa yelled back but before Eden could yell something similar, another bullet shot through the air and clanged against the metal of one of the cars nearest to them. Eden instinctively reached for Newt's hand and squeezed it tight, not handling the fright in her system as she usually would. She, while Newt traced shapes on her thumb with his, tried to focus on something away from the guns that were currently trained onto them. She listened intently to Jorge and Thoma's movements, the scuttling of stones under their feet and their conversation became her main distraction.

"That son of a bitch, Marcus. He led us into an Ambush," Jorge muttered, voice sounding ever so distant to Eden. "Everybody! Get set to sprint back to the truck! And hold your ears!" he yelled after a brief moment of hushed communion with Thomas that she could not catch. At his instruction, Newt and Eden simultaneously dropped the other's hand and peered through a small gap where they could both see Jorge holding a red button and Thomas some sort of explosive weapon. Instantly, they all clambered up from their sitting positions and readied themselves to run in the direction of the truck while also making sure their heads did not poke over the top of the car in the slightest.

Instead of Jorge's voice as she had suspected, the next sound she heard was the very near cocking of a gun. The sound ran her blood cold. "Drop it," a woman's voice called from an unknown place. She gathered due to the volume of it that they were standing in front of Jorge and Thomas. "Now!" the voice yelled again, beginning to get rather impatient.

Gradually yet all the same rather quickly, the two masked women coaxed them all out from behind the cars with their hands in the air. Eden's gaze remained constantly fixed on the two guns, fingers shaking at the thought of being shot and experiencing all that pain all over again. It was less likely that she would be as lucky this time, with the lacking hospital treatment that saved her life the time previous.

"Aris?" one of the women gasped, dropping the barrel of her gun that had been previously trained onto Thomas. Every head turned towards Aris as he slowly stepped forward, brow furrowed in confusion. Confusion that was instantly wiped away once the woman dropped her mask and revealed her face.

"Oh, my God. Harriet?"

"What the hell are you doing here?" Harriet exclaimed before running forward to hug Aris tightly. While the rest of the group, barring the other women who also dropped her mask at the sight of Aris, looked around in pure perplexion while their fear filled hearts still hammered in their chests.

"What's happening?" Minho uttered the one thing that was on the brink of everyone's lips, bringing Aris back from whatever alternate reality he had fallen into.

"We were in the maze together," Aris answered back, smiling brightly in such a way she had never seen before. She could practically feel the joy radiating off of him and honestly, it was a nice difference to the Aris that she had gotten to know.

As if snapping out of an alternate reality herself, Harriet whistled out over the cliffs then yelled, "We're clear guys! Come on out!" Following her yell into the abyss, various people on the tops of the mountains began to reveal themselves. They had been completely surrounded from the very beginning, without Aris they would have been in a rather difficult situation indeed.

From then on, the group reluctantly followed the woman known as Sonya. The rest walked silently as Aris and the two women engaged in the sort of chatter that would be expected from three reuniting people after however long it had been. "Wait wait, the Right Arm? Do you know where they are?" Thomas' abruptly interrupted as the group stopped next to a beaten up truck, in much worse condition than the car they traveled up in had been.

Harriet smiled in such a way that they already all knew the answer, "Hop in."

DUE TO THEIR NUMBERS, they had to split into two cars both supplied by whatever group Sonya and Harriet were with. Jorge drove the car that Eden, Newt, Fry and Minho had all taken instead of the car that they followed with the others in. Eden sat in the front seat, watching the surroundings fly past while her messy head of thoughts focused onto one in particular. The deep pit of dread within her stomach that just wouldn't be shaken, despite how hard she attempted to rid herself of it.

About twenty minutes into the journey, Frypan leaned forward and tapped Eden's shoulder. She turned around, just about able to see him through the gap between her seat and the window. "You okay?" Fry whispered, concern furrowing his brow.

Eden glanced toward both Newt and Minho, thankfully finding them not listening or even paying attention. She nodded softly, whispering back, "Just thinking."

"About what?"

"I have a feeling something is about to go wrong."

A certain light behind his eyes withered slightly as he took in the information and the look of complete seriousness on her face. "How wrong?" he whispered back, voice restrained as if he did not want to know the answer to the question.

Eden once again checked that no one was listening to their conversation - which they weren't, thankfully. Newt looked as if he was almost asleep, eyes closed and resting up against the window, whereas Minho looked too deep in his own world to even notice if the car had stopped let alone a conversation. She hurriedly whispered, "People dying wrong."

"You're probably just being precautious, Eden," Fry reassured, using a statement that had worked in the past. It had no effect now though, instead it made her feel even worse. Like she was wrong to think such a way, almost stupid in a way. She did feel stupid. She just couldn't see why her mind chose to worry about what was around the bend when the rest of her friends were excited for it. 

Eden sighed, turning back to face the front of the car again as she muttered, "I hope so."