{2.09}

EDEN MOMENTARILY BECAME frozen in place, for maybe a second or so. She watched in horror as Newt wrestled the crank to keep himself alive. She snapped out of the initial fear fueled shock and instantly looked around for something that could aid her attempt into saving him. Her hand grasped around a metal pole before she could even think twice about it. She swiftly ran forward and, while making sure not to accidentally collide the pole with Newt's head, she swung the pole around and slammed it directly into the Cranks head. The creature, due to the force of the swing, flung off Newt in an instant and fell through the glass banister at their side. Eden instantly dropped the bloodied metal pole and grabbed onto Newt's hand, helping to pull him up from the floor. "You okay? No bites?" she asked frantically, quickly scanning his face and torso for any signs of infection while still holding onto his hands.

Newt nodded, looking rather dazed and like he needed a good few minutes to process what had just happened before anything else. Unfortunately, they did not have that luxury. Instead Eden had to initially direct him away from the cranks that still hunted their lives in a seemingly never ending pack that bustled behind them. He seemed to have snapped out of the shock and been fueled with fresh adrenaline again as he started to sprint,  heading down a thin corridor with multiple doors that all hid snarling creatures behind them. Thomas chose a door, a heavy metal red door, that they would force open to escape the hoard behind them.

"I'll hold them back," Winston yelled over the commotion of screaming teenagers, taking one of the guns in his hand. Dozens of shots rang out as they tried to open the door, each paired with the death like groan of a creatures that ran behind them.

"Get that door open!" It took brute force, multiple attempts at pulling the door open and by the end of it all Frypan simply took to running in the door in an attempt to get it open. The door opened with an ever so satisfying sound that could only briefly be heard over the yells of all the boys who followed through the new escape from the horrors of the area that they had unknowingly stepped into.

Just as Eden crossed the threshold of the door, she felt a distant hand try to desperately grab onto the back of her backpack before he fell to the ground. She instantly turned and grabbed onto Winston's hand, trying with all her might to pull him through the small gap in the door while creatures clawed at the other half of his body. Minho screamed as he fought to keep the door just open enough to get Winston out but somewhat closed so that the creatures did not claim any other of the Gladers. Both Newt and Thomas grabbed onto Winston's arms and the three of them managed to pull him through the door, but not before Winston's chest as clawed by the nails of the Cranks. Eden stared at the wounds for a moment, while Newt and Frypan pulled Winston up so they could help him run away from the creatures. Deep cuts that were most likely filled with whatever had turned those humans into Cranks flooded fresh red blood down his stomach and she could not help but shake the feeling of familiarity the longer that she stared at it.

Minho and Thomas both held the door closed whilst the rest of the Galders started to run out of the situation, all looking for a safe place for them to hide. Teresa directed them all into a hiding place amongst what looked to be rubble of fallen buildings - Eden couldn't quite tell in the darkness what they were hiding within. All torches were instantly shut off and everyone, even Winston who was evidently in such pain that all he wanted to do was scream, went completely silent. So silent in fact that they all turned to statues, just listening to the scuttling of the cranks above them. Once there was little to none noise above them, Eden flicked on her torch but used the sleeve of her shirt to muffle the light just enough that it wasn't completely visible outside of the overhang. She shuffled her way toward Winston and checked over his wounds whilst Newt held the torch in the correct place and had his other arm wrapped around her waist comfortingly. She tried not to give anything away as she carefully cleaned the rough markings on his chest, covering up some of them with a couple bandages. But she could easily tell that the venom was taking over, some of the surface of his skin was cold to the touch and some of the wounds had already closed completely. Nothing but the venom of Grievers had ever done that.