{3.17}

THOMAS BLACKED OUT JUST as Eden managed to push her way through the dozens of people that surrounded him. "What do we do?" Brenda yelled with desperation as Eden appeared at her side, wanting to make sure that her question was heard over all the others' continuous panicked talking. The sound rung in Eden's ears and brewed a headache in the very top of her skull, one which quickly spread and enveloped her entire head. Her vision blurred for a second the refocused as she forced the pain away, not quite knowing how she still had the energy to do so. Eden looked to Thomas' wound to get a better look but four pairs of hand blocked her way, all of which were keeping pressure in all the wrong places.

She pulled each of these hands away and replaced them with her own, lifting them slightly so she could see the full extent of the injury under her shirt. After a quick surveillance, she placed her hands right back onto the wound and looked around. The berg shook with turbulence as her gaze fell onto the first aid kit, the one that she had stocked herself. She knew full well what was in there and knew what her only option was. "I'll have to stitch it," she announced to the completely silent audience, now noticing the dozens of children that sat in the seats along the side of the berg. They all stared, eyes boring into her soul. She sniffled, focusing her attention once more, "Get me the first aid kit."

"Now?" Brenda asked, eyes wide with bewilderment as Frypan handed Eden the first aid kit.

She instantly zipped it open (one handed) and pulled out the various bagged items that she would need. "Vince, gloves," she ordered, handing them to him. He immediately pulled them on and pressed against Thomas' wound as she removed her hands. Luckily he was unconscious so would not need the morphine until afterwards, that way they could reserve the supply until they landed. "Do you want him to bleed out?" she replied as she pulled on a set of bright blue gloves. She then went into the bags, taking out items that would clean the wound, a chemical that would stop the bleeding completely and the needle which would stitch him up, all of which lay on a tray within a plastic bag to keep them as sanitary as possible.

"How are you going to perform a surgery on a plane?" Brenda's frantic voice rang in her ear again as Eden used a pair of scissors to cut off Thomas' shirt, making sure not to accidentally cut the necklace around his neck as it could have been something sentimental she didn't want to lose.

Eden looked up, distaste flooding her eyes. She understood that Brenda was panicking but the constant interruptions of her focus was not necessary and actually further put Thomas;s life at risk. "Tell Jorge to keep it steady," she scoffed before fully focusing on the life in front of her, the life that was now in her hands. "And everyone else stay far away please," she added, instantly hearing the shuffling of people heading in various directions that were far away from where she sat on her knees, staring at her surroundings as she calculated every little detail she would have to complete. She took a deep breath, steadied her hands then spoke, "Vince, move your hands."

Everyone watched in complete silence as Eden worked. The only sound would be her brief instruction to Vince, asking him to grab her something or to mop away some of the blood. Eden managed to get the blood to stop pretty easily with the use of a few chemicals and from there, she cleaned the wound extensively. As she grabbed the needle, her hands started to shake profusely as her final ounces of adrenaline flooded out from her system. It was a wonder that she had been able to run for so long without passing out in all honesty. Eden sat back on her knees, looking up to the roof of the berg as she took four deep breaths, pushing everything else out of her mind completely. A voice came to the back of her head, a voice telling her to push through it and relax later. And even though the voice brought tears to her eyes, she pushed through and got back to work.

After being watched by dozens of children as she carefully skewed up the wound, Eden secured the stitches with a taped piece of gauze. She stared at the white for a few minutes, waiting to see if she had failed and the wound bled once more. She waited and waited for the bandage to turn even a hint of pink but it did not. She had been successful. She instructed Vince to wrap tight bandages around Thomas' torso while she administered some painkillers through an injection in his arm. She hoped it would be enough to keep him unconscious for the rest of the flight back to their temporary home.

Once she was happy with Thomas's state and had set up a drip to rehydrate him, Eden peeled off her gloves and stood. She walked out of the main room of the berg, leaving the mess of the surgery behind her and headed straight to the bathroom.

Eden scrubbed her hands of the blood lining the creases of her palms with scalding water and soap that smelled like flowers. She glanced up in the mirror above the sink and took in her appearance, feeling like the person staring back at her did not resemble her whatsoever. Dried blood stuck to the top of her lip, bruising covering the bridge of her nose. Smoke and dirt hung heavy in the creases besides her eyes, tear marks smudging more dirt down her face in trickles. She dampened a towel from the cupboard and began to wipe it all away, taking extra care around her nose. Once she had cleaned off as much as possible and pulled her gritty feeling hair up into a ponytail to keep it out of the way, she checked her nose was not broken.

As she lifted her hand to delicately check her nose, the sleeve of her jacket fell in front of her eyes. A black, dried smudge of blood covered the yellow of the jacket, his jacket. It suddenly hit her in a wave so intense that her breath was stolen away. She slid onto the floor, desperately trying to hold in her sobs with a hand muffling her mouth while her other hand clutched at the heart that felt like it was going to burst. No tears came. Her body had simply ran out of them. All that was left was the pain. The pure anguish, despair and heartbreak of him being taken away. Her lips and hands trembled with sorrow, body slumped against the back of the bathroom door.

Abruptly and frantically she grasped at the handle next to the sink and pulled herself up off the floor. She desperately clawed at her shirt, pulling it off her chest to check for wounds because something hurt so badly that there was no way that she hadn't sustained an injury. There was no way that the torturous feeling that crowded her chest was not caused by an injury that would slowly dull in pain then cease to exist. But no, there were no cuts. There wasn't even a bruise. She stared at her torso for a few minutes, watching the rapid rising and falling of it as her mind slipped out of reality. Nothing felt real anymore. Well nothing except the concoction of misery beneath the surface of her skin.

Somehow, she managed to pull herself together. And with a brief splashing of her face with water, the proof of her breakdown was flushed down the drain. Her hands stung as she opened the door, having not previously realised how hard she had actually scrubbed them. As she stepped out of the bathroom, she knocked into a person who she hadn't noticed was in her path.

"Eden..." Frypan trailed off, watching the look in her eyes as her gaze met his.

And it was as if the soft look in his eyes opened the floodgates to the dark place where she had stuffed all her emotions. The tears were almost projectile as they had been pushed down for far too long. She fell into him, thankfully being caught as her lungs buckled beneath her, sobs upon sobs wracking her chest. Eden went completely numb to the outside word, completely unintelligible as all the emotions flooded out of her.

Her energy was gone and she could no longer fight the exhaustion, letting her eyes flutter close even as the sobs wracked her chest.