{1.07}

"JUST LISTEN TO ME. PLEASE, MINHO," Ben begged as Minho pushed him into a circle of people all crowded outside the entrance to the maze. His arms were tied around his back with a single rope, in order to prevent an outburst such as the one that had happened to Thomas that morning. Ben begged loudly but Minho persisted, keeping a good hold on him as they walked. The anger flaring up in Ben did not do well for his humanity-related sanity, he growled like some sort of predator beast. Eden frowned deeply as he passed her, feeling so guilty that she could barely watch the proceedings.

Minho cut the ties on Ben after Eden's nod of confirmation. Ben dropped to the floor, coughing intensely as thick black liquid dripped from his mouth. He continued to beg, never giving himself a break despite how coarse and awful his throat must have been feeling. Minho walked to the doors, holding the bag that they gave anyone who would be banished. Enough supplies to last the night and day, if they happened to survive - which no one had yet. At his begging once more, Minho looked to Eden for yet another confirmation about throwing said bag into the maze. She nodded directly toward him and he threw the bag in, beginning the process of banishment.

Ben turned to her, scowling yet his eyes were full of such want of pity that it struck a chord within her rapidly beating heart. "Eden, please! No! Try again, please!" Ben desperately begged as the crowd around him readied themselves to banish him, The whirring of the gates picked up, signalling that they would be closing within the next few minutes.

"I'm sorry, Ben," she replied, throat somewhat closing up as guilt enveloped her soul. She stood behind Newt, who had a pole in his hand ready for the next step of the banishment. Everyone around her turned silent as they awaited instruction. "Insanely sorry."

"Poles!" Alby yelled instructions after her confirmation once again, Eden could never bring herself to give such an order so Alby always offered to do so. It wasn't that he wanted to do it either but she had been such a dependency for him over the years that he wanted to do this for her.

"No... No... No," Ben protested profusely, hitting the end of each pole to try and save himself.

"Move in," Alby yelled yet another instruction and the Gladers followed instruction, gradually pushing him into the maze.

"No! I can get better! Give me another shot, please!"

"Push him in," Alby yelled again, making sure his voice was heard over all the commotion surrounding them.

Eden watched from where she had previously stood, arms crossed over herself as Ben was pushed through the small gap left in the walls of the maze. Silence befell the other Gladers as the maze closed completely, with no sign of Ben to see any longer.

"He belongs to the Maze now," she broke the silence, sighing softly. "Gally, name duty."

With that, Eden walked away from the banishment site and intended to go back to the lab to study Ben's infected blood sample. But that plan was misdirected when Frypan chased after her, hugged her tightly then asked if she wanted to come into the kitchen to 'help with dinner.' By that, he meant to have a chat while he cooked and it wasn't like she would turn that down at any given opportunity.

EDEN SAT ON THE TOP OF THE STRUCTURE she liked to call the lookout tower. It was the tallest thing in the Glade and from the very top of the rickety structure, she could see everything in-between the four walls that she called home. Oddly, she did not find the sight stressful like many others did. People did not want to sit and be constantly reminded about the walls and maze that encased them entirely - she thought the reminder fueled some sort of want to escape within her body that increased her work ethic. Only today, she partly understood why everyone hated it up there. You could see, and sometimes hear, everything. From the whirring of mechanics within the maze, the odd scampering of Griever talons to the distant screams that marked someone's death. She shivered, changing her focus to the sun and watching as it depleted in height on the horizon while tears slipped down her face. These were all immediately wiped away when she heard the sound of someone approaching up the ladder.

Newt (of course it was Newt) silently sat next to her, his leg hanging off the side as hers did, and handed her a full glass of water without any signs of spillage. She briefly raised a brow in curiously as to how he had managed such a feat then chose to ignore it - like so many other things she ignored within the world. 

"I have to go into the Maze tomorrow," she whispered, words sensing swift punches of nausea into her gut and up her throat.

"What?" he exclaimed, far louder than she had expected. She had thought that she would possibly receive a snide comment with much more meaning or perhaps a warning to be safe and such - not the look on his face. The look of disbelief mixed with pure outrage was currently plastered on his face.

"Alby and I are going to retrace his steps, try and figure out if there was something special about the location. Since it's the first sting in the daytime," she kept her voice soft and reassuring, trying to scrub away the look in his eyes.

"You both have to go?" he asked, clearly making the conscious effort to keep his voice somewhat low and closer to the usual volume.

"Neither of us wanted the other to go so we just both decided to go, it's not the smartest plan but Alby's stubborn," she shrugged, watching a certain cloud in the distance.

"So is someone else I know," he smiled, giving her such a look that she was forced to look away in order to avoid it altogether.

"It does not make for the best environment, I must say," she let out a sharp exhale that could be considered a laugh by the correct person, luckily Newt was such a person.

"You be careful tomorrow, okay?"

"Of course," she replied quickly, the silence surrounding them for a split second once more."I do have the ability to think logically in dangerous situations."

"I'm just concerned that you're going to the exact place where someone else was bloody stung not even a day ago."

"I know... But it's the best plan we have. It keeps some sort of reassurance within the others to know we're investigating it," she explained, not having the guts to look in his direction as she already knew the look on his face would make her want to stay.

"Plus I bet you're curious," he smirked discreetly, playfully nudging her with his shoulder.

She smiled, then let the smile drop as it felt far too terrible to have done so in the first place. "It seems everything around here is increasing in speed and severity," she whispered, tracing the top of the glass with her finger. He nodded in agreement, leaning back slightly in order to stretch out his torso as it had begun to ache. Silence fell upon them again as both their mind turned and twisted the truth into much scarier falsities.

"Don't die."

She sighed as his fingertips briefly danced over hers, clearly wanting to take her hand into his own and simply refuse to let go, She glanced over to him, her voice a buttery whisper that set a certain reaction within him,  "I can't promise you anything but I wish I could."