{1.11}

NEWT WATCHED INTENTLY AS Eden took a needle into the bottom of a red capsule, watching as the liquid bubbled through it and into the main part of the syringe. She then injected it into some sort of jelly within a dish and he could not help but be distracted by her face. The utter excitement portrayed by her features lead him to believe that she had found something important. "Pepper?" he whispered, not loud enough to startle her but loud enough that she was now majorly aware of his presence.

"Just a sec," she called out, placing her entire attention on the microscope in front of her. He watched, not moving a single muscle, as she took out a long and extremely thin needle and placed it into the jelly. She remained silent, hardly breathing, as she tried to get the one specific thing out of the liquid within the jelly. "Shit!" she yelled out, dropping the needle and instantly throwing the dish into the already overfilled waste sink. It looked as if this had had multiple awful and unsuccessful attempts.

"You okay?" Newt asked softly and precautiously, unsure whether she still wanted silence or not.

"Failed, again," she sighed, rubbing her temple with her gloved hand. "I need more Greenie blood."

"Anyone else and that would be a creepy sentence," Newt chuckled, attempting to lighten the mood somewhat. It seemed he had this job in most of their interactions, not that he complained one bit.

"Reason for your disturbance?" she laughed softly, pulling off her gloves and lifting her goggles onto the top of her head.

He sighed, "Thomas went in the maze again." Eden sighed dramatically and dropped her head to the desk repeatedly as she fake tried to put herself into unconsciousness so she did not have to deal with Thomas' antics.

"THESE ARE THE SAME LETTERS we get on our supplies," Newt observed as he handed the device in his hand to Eden, their fingers brushing together. Eden recoiled unconsciously, finding the metal to be much cooler and slimier than she had suspected. The metal had been harvested from the Griever that Thomas killed the night before. It seemed he and a bunch of others had gone on a little mission which was completely against the rules in all respects. She thought it would be okay to let it slide, just this once.

"Yeah. Whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers. And this is the first real clue, the first anything you've found in over three years. Right?" Thomas argued, looking between Eden and Minho for a response. She nodded while looking at Minho, the two of them having a conversation with their eyes. "Eden, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us?"

"You see what he's trying to do, right?" Gally interjected, ruining Eden's train of thought so intently that the corners of her eyes screwed up in protest.

"Shut up Gally, let her think," Newt interrupted before Gally had the chance to go on a little rant like he so wanted to do. Eden looked to Newt gratefully but found a stern look on his face, entirely directed to Gally. His gaze distanced itself from Gally for a split second, to look her face up and down, before the intensity of his protesting stare returned.

Eden handed back Minho the device as she replied, "Thomas broke the rules. Therefore... one night in the pit and no food."

"Oh come on Eden. One night in the pit?" Gally protested, leading Eden to shush him with a single finger.

She turned to Thomas directly, "Also duty with Chuck for a day. And since you do have a tendency to run into the maze and we can't exactly have non-runners doing that. From then on, you're a runner."

Gally opened his mouth and then closed it again, struggling to find the words to express his pure outrage at what had just occurred. Eden frowned and watched as he stormed out of the room, quickly followed by Fry who looked just as concerned as Eden did. Gally had an extremely short fuse and often caused more problems than he should yet she still felt some level of caring toward him, as she did everyone. She would be sure to check on him later, maybe via Fry.