{3.09}

THE REST OF THE DAY passed with such speed that Eden was physically shocked when night began to fall. They had planned all day, finally getting Thomas to settle on involving Teresa into the plan. And as he went off to invoke the plan, the rest were left to wait again. Newt and Eden snuck away from the group, wanting the alone time but for completely separate reasons. Eden wanted to talk seriously and Newt... not so much.

After putting on a random record she had found next to a record player in the abandoned room in which they sat, she had been trying to get him to talk seriously for the better half of ten minutes yet he continued to pour all his attention into avoiding the conversation. "Newt what's going on?" she laughed as he attacked her neck with kisses.

"Just kiss me," he sighed softly.

"What?" she instantly frowned, pulling far enough away from him that he would have to lunge to reach her. "Newt we need to talk about this," she replied, keeping herself focused on task when all she truly wanted to do was sink into his arms.

"No we don't," he pressed, clearing his throat as he stood in front of her. As confusion and slight annoyance tugged her brow, Newt offered her his hand. "Tell me lies instead. Live in denial with me?"

Eden felt a smile pull her cheeks but knew it came from a completely false place. She didn't know why her body reacted in a separate way to how her mind felt yet it did so, stretching her lips into an expression that greatly juxtaposed how she felt inside. "For how long?" she asked, question almost breathy despite the real need she had to know the answer to it.

"Until the thought of me dying becomes bearable."

It never would, she thought instantly. There is not a single part of her that would ever be able to bear with that look into the future. The silence that followed his whisper was unbearable. Her voice came choked, almost as if the true answer had hidden itself away in her soul. "Forever then?"

"Will you, Eden, live in denial with me forever?" he chuckled, the sound turning the last part of her brain to mush. It was then that Eden came to the debilitating realisation that she and Newt would never have this discussion, not once. So instead she focused all her attention into doing what he wanted, given that he was the one on the brink of death. Not that she ever believed he would succumb to the infection, given the cure she would make as soon as the chemicals were available. She already had Thomas's blood stowed away somewhere safe for that exact moment.

She smiled once more, sighing softly as she slipped her hand onto his. "I will."

The song playing on the record switched into one that better matched Newt's intentions. He slowly rocked her into more of a slow dance, picking up the pace as the song progressed. The moon's bright beams of light shone through the slats covering the windows, creating soft light that only added to the perfection of that exact moment.

"I love you," he whispered, momentarily forgetting everything wrong with life as he looked deep into her tear filled eyes. Eden couldn't help but let her eyes well up, imagining that this could be the last time she would ever be that purely happy with him - if the cure didn't happen to work.

"I love you more than rain."

EDEN SAT ALONE, HAVING LEFT Newt to catch up on some sleep which he needed. She couldn't even think of closing her eyes to sleep. Every second her eyes would be open anyway, checking that he was okay and nothing else had happened. She found great comfort in hearing the slow beating of his heart, feeling the rising and falling of his chest as he slept. She had crept away after about half an hour though, needing time alone to come to terms with everything. So she found a ledge on the building and sat off it, legs swinging in the air.