Chapter 66 - Adoption Day

A/N: - I have no idea how all this works so I've just gone what I would imagine happens. Sorry if it's wrong!

__________

Y/n's POV:

Our peaceful Monday evening was disturbed by a frantic banging on the front door. I look at Scarlett with a bit of confusion and indicate for her to stay with Ava whilst I go and investigate who is so desperate to see us. The banging only gets more intense as I reach the hallway. "Alright! I'm coming, don't beat the door down." I shout.

"I told you to stop Robert! You're going to frighten them!" I hear Susan scold just as I reach the door, revealing who our unexpected house guests are. I chuckle to myself as I open the door with an unimpressed look on my face. "Would you like to tell me why you're here at 8pm banging our door down and scaring the shit out of us?" I say firmly and I see Robert shrink back.

"Sorry." He mumbles and I laugh. "Well, don't wait outside. Come on in." I greet, holding the door open for them. "Sorry about him. I tried telling him but he's a child sometimes." Susan apologises. "Oh, don't I know it." I respond with a smile, pulling her into a hug. It's not until I'm hugging Susan that I notice a third person I don't recognise.

"Hi, I'm Roger Francis. I am Mr and Mrs Downey's lawyer." He introduces himself, his hand out reached towards me. "Nice to meet you. I'm Y/n." I reply and he smiles. "Yes, I've heard a lot about you." He greets in return. "Should I be worried that you've brought a lawyer?" I ask, turning my attention to Robert and Susan. "No. Quite the opposite. We have all the paperwork prepared and I couldn't wait." Robert tells me and I instantly feel my heart to start to pick up. "The adoption paperwork?" I question and he nods.

"Well, you better come through. Scarlett and Ava should be around for this." I say, leading them through to the living room. They all greet each other, and Ava is really happy to see them both. Though I'm sure part of that is the fact she knows that her bedtime is going to be delayed.

We all get comfortable as Roger starts to explain what's required of us. "Ok. All of your paperwork came through from the UK Social Services, so I was able to draft up these adoption papers. The three of you will all need to sign them to confirm that you are willing for the adoption to take place. Miss Johansson, they will require 2 witnesses so, if you're comfortable would you mind being the second?" He explains and then turns to Scarlett for her response. "Of course. I'd love to be involved." She replies with a wide smile.

Roger starts to set out all of the papers on the table. I look over at them and see lots of tabs and posts it's in three different colours, I'm guessing to indicate where we sign. Scarlett moves Ava from her lap and Susan takes her. Thankfully, Scar sits with me while I read through the papers, and she clarifies a few things I missed. I've never done anything like this before, but I guess with her career, contracts and things like this are a familiar thing to her.

Once I'm happy and understand everything, I turn to Robert and Susan. "Are you sure this is what you want?" I question, still waiting for them to turn around and say this is all a joke. Robert gets up and kneels in front of me. "Y/n. I have wanted this since you sat me down in Sophie's café and told me you were going to Afghanistan. I just wish that I had done this sooner." He reassures me, holding my hands tightly in his.

I've never seen Robert so serious and that in itself helps me to see that this is real. I look at Susan to confirm with her and I notice that her eyes are full of unshed tears. "And you're happy too?" I ask and she nods frantically. "I have never been so sure of anything in my life." She confirms, getting up, handing Ava back over to Scarlett and taking a seat next to me.

"Are you all happy to go ahead." Roger asks. Robert and Susan answer yes immediately. I would have as well had I not gotten choked up over a sob. "Sorry. Yes, I'm happy." I reply, clearnig my throat and leaning into Susan, who has placed her arm around me. Roger nods and takes out a fancy pen from his suit pocket and places it on the paper in front. I watch as Robert steps forward first and initials and signs where Roger instructs.