Chapter 36 - Karsten

Scarlett's POV:

When the doorbell goes, the atmosphere completely changes in an instant. We had spent the morning relaxing whilst we waited for my dad to arrive. I could tell that Y/n was doing everything that she could to hide how nervous she actually was. I tried to comfort her, but I was so nervous myself, that we ended up just making things worse.

As the chime of the bell rings out through the house, Y/n stands up quickly, almost as if she's standing to attention. She holds her head up high, taking deep breaths preparing for what's behind that door. Hunter and I lead the way to the hall with mom, Y/n and Ava following close behind.

Hunter reaches out to turn the door handle and I can feel my heart in my throat. I've never been this nervous to see my dad before. But I guess there has never been so much riding on us seeing each other.

The door opens and I plaster a fake smile on my face as Hunter pulls dad in for a hug. Once he's greeted Hunter he turns to me with a big smile and wraps me up in a hug. "Hi sweetheart, I've missed you!" He says, holding me tight. I squeeze him back and enjoy the moment feeling safe in his arms. Mom then steps forward to greet him with a quick hug. Although they've been separated for years, they are always amicable and make the effort around Hunter and me.

When our initial greeting is over, I turn and hold my hand out for Y/n to take, which she hesitantly does, keeping Ava close. "Dad, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend Y/n and her daughter Ava." I tell him happily, hoping that it'll help. Y/n drops my hand and holds hers out. "It's a pleasure to meet you sir." She says with confidence. My eyes don't leave my father as I wait for his reaction.

He tentatively takes her hand and shakes it firmly but doesn't respond to her. My eyes flick to my mom, pleading for some help. Not the best start. "How about we head into the living room, and I'll get everyone a drink." She breaks the awkward tension, guiding us all through the house.

I take a seat on the sofa next to Y/n, as Ava sits on her lap, a protective arm holding her tightly. Hunter takes the other sofa whilst dad takes the armchair. It's silent whilst we wait for mom to come back in. Dad hasn't even acknowledged Ava. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Y/n's finger tapping rapidly against her leg showing her nerves.

"How was your journey, did you travel far?" Y/n asks, trying to start a conversation. He looks at her and then down to his hands. "No, not that far, traffic was good so didn't take me too long." He replies coldly. I sigh, but Y/n reaches over to take my hand and gives it a squeeze. I smile at the fact she's comforting me when I know this isn't easy for her. I notice Dad looks over at us and down to our hands. When our eyes meet, I give him a smile which he half-heartedly returns.

Thankfully, mom enters the living room with a tray of drinks. Seeing that she was struggling, Y/n moved Ava into my lap and stood up to help her. "Thank you, Y/n." Mom says gratefully. Y/n returns to the sofa, Ava now sat between us as she quietly sips her drink. I can't even imagine what Ava thinks of all of this.

After a brief moment of silence, Y/n speaks up again. "Scarlett tells me that you're an architect." She tries again to start a conversation and I love her for it. "I was, I'm retired now." He responds shortly. I catch Hunter's eyes who frowns. "I always find it fascinating that some people have the ability to picture a building and bring it to life whilst taking all the physics and creative aspects into account." Y/n partially compliments, a smile on her face as she is trying so hard to gain anything from my father.

"It takes a lot of work and training." He replies, taking a sip of his coffee. Silence falls on the room again. "Y/n was telling us yesterday how she lived in Cyprus with the army." Mom tries to start further conversation, but dad just slowly nods his head. "What was the place called again?" Mom asks, directing her question to Y/n. "Dhekelia. It was on the southern part of the Island near Larnaca." Y/n responds with a kind smile.