Chapter 56 - Nightmare

Y/n's POV:

It was obvious that Robert had spoken to Scarlett. She came back in with dinner almost a different person that she had been all day. I was just happy that she was spending longer than a few minutes with me. I know once the others leave, we have a bit of time before Ava gets home, so I'm going to make sure that we talk. Open communication, that's what we promised each other.

Not long after dinner Avri had fallen asleep resting against me. I was mindlessly running my hand through her hair as the others all talked. I love moments like this. It would only be better if Ava was with us.

When Exton also looks like he's not far from joining his sister in the land of nod, Robert and Susan decide it's time to head home. The kids both whine when they have to leave, Avri goes as far as clinging to my leg. But eventually they reluctantly agree to leave.

When Robert and Susan say goodbye, they both have huge smiles on their faces and I'm sure Robert's eyes have glossed over. Ok, they're both acting weird. I think the best thing here is just to ignore it.

After they leave, Scarlett pops off the kitchen to grab me a drink. I'm surprised when she comes back and takes the spot next to me on the bed. I was half expecting her to go back to ignoring me.

Once she's settled, I decide that we need to talk now before anything gets out of hand. "We should talk." I blurt out and Scarlett looks at me with a hint of worry in her eyes. She adjusts so she's sat cross legged facing me. "If you're uncomfortable with me being here, I can call Sophie and stay with her." I offer. I know this has all been quite sudden and she's been working on herself. Maybe me being here isn't helping her.

Scarlett, however, is quick to dispel any worries. She shakes her head rapidly, getting to her knees and taking my hand in hers. "No, don't leave me." She almost begs. "I don't want you to go to Sophie's or Robert's. I'm so sorry I've been distant with you." She rushes out. I look at her confused and she sighs. "Why did have you then?" I ask.

She looks down at her hands. "I was worried that you might think I was using this situation to force us back to how we were. So, I thought I would show you that I'm here to look after you, but I wouldn't push anything further." She explains, her eyes still firmly on our hands as she plays with my ring. "I didn't want to push you further away than you already were. But it seems like I was doing that anyway."

Hearing her explanation makes sense, but I hate that she has been so worried about this. With me being hurt, she probably felt like she doesn't want to burden me. I reach out and lift her chin so she's looking at me. "I wish you had talked to me." I tell her softly. "You have enough going on at the moment." She mumbles but I shake my head. "Firstly, you can always come to me, regardless of what is going on. I am always here for you. Secondly, I was so pissed that you didn't seem to want to be around me, so it didn't really make me feel better." I chuckle awkwardly. It's true, if it wasn't for Robert and Susan, I would still be in a foul mood.

"This is something we need to work on. Our communication. Maybe we can stop either of us over thinking by just talking with each other. I want to know what's bothering you and be able to help you." I share, not dropping the eye contact so she can see how serious I am. "I think you're right. I'm sorry." She mutters. "It's ok. We're a work in progress ok. We'll get there." I reassure her. "Just don't shut me out." I plead and she nods, snuggling into my side.

"It's killed me not being around you for the last few days, and then I went and prolonged it. But I just want to do this right." She speaks up. "We're going to have a lot of time together while I'm stuck in this bed. Why not use it effectively." I suggest and see a cheeky glint in her eye. "Not like that!" I laugh and she shrugs her shoulder innocently. "I'm serious though, we can talk and just be together before you have to leave for New York in a few days. Then when you come back, we can maybe go on a date?" I ask shyly.