Chapter 40 - Tom's Chance

Start from the beginning

Tom stood in one swift motion, but Lucius stretched a hand out and stopped him as he spoke, "Since you are still an intern, you will need my recommendation before the Minister contacts you, Riddle. Not to mention he's traveling today and will be far too busy with his speeches about the recent bit of news for a casual conversation."

Lucius nodded while Tom frowned, "Go home to your wife and enjoy your new family for a bit while I sort things out here.....I do hope as you ascend your path to greatness, you'll keep the Malfoy family in high regards."

"Of course, sir." Tom smiled as he nodded at Lucius politely, "I'll forever be grateful to the assistance you've offered me, no matter how far I advance in the world. The Malfoy lineage will always be well-respected in my eyes."

Lucius and Tom stared at each other with silent, warning glares until Tom turned to leave.

"Riddle..........?" Lucius asked before his assistant could open the door.

"Yes, sir?" Tom replied as he glanced over his shoulder.

"May I offer you a bit of advice, from one father to another?" Lucius asked.

"Of course, sir." Tom nodded.

"Whatever you do.....don't drink it." Lucius instructed Tom as he flashed him a wry smile.

".......Sorry, sir?" Tom frowned.

"Don't.......drink it." Lucius repeated with a solemn frown.

Tom mirrored his expression as he turned and left his employer's office.

He didn't know exactly what Lucius had meant, but he shrugged aside his employer's austere statement as an eager smile manifested on his handsome face.

Tom saw the assistant position as a way to increase his salary and visibility, certainly, but his real hope lay in the fact that the next election was a mere three years away.

Three years.

Tom had to work for someone else for three years while he maneuvered, charmed, and persuaded his way into every voter's heart and family's home in magical Britain.

As he entered a Floo chimney at the front of the Ministry, his heart swelled with the intoxicating dreams he knew would become realities.

Tom junior made up his mind while he traveled back home that working as the Minister's assistant would be a necessary waste of his time.

At the next election held in wizarding Britain, the people would choose him as the new Minister for Magic.

—————————————————————-

Harriet had spent her morning quite differently than her alpha.

From the moment she had woken, she had known a new pain.

As she pulled herself out of bed while her newborn whimpered in her bassinet, Harriet groaned as she instinctively laid a hand across her chest.

Her chest........

She blinked as she gently palpated her breasts and gasped at the heaviness that had settled there overnight.

Harriet stood to her feet and frowned once she saw her loose nightdress barely contained her enhanced curves as the delicate fabric clung to her changed form.

She lamented that she was not afforded the luxury of priding herself on her new developments as she winced at the pain they brought her while she walked over to the bassinet.

With a quiet groan, Harriet leaned down and pulled baby Mae into her arms.

Silently, she carried her little one back to her nest and settled down amongst the mound of blankets and pillows.