Oneshot No. 457 (1044 Words)

GEORGES PERSPECTIVE:

I take the microphone from the MC who's hosting Dream's wedding. It's my turn to make a speech.

"If you don't know me, I'm George. I've known Clay since we were teenagers, and we met online. To be honest, I was kind of a dick to him. But, soon enough, we got closer and closer until if any small event happened in our life, we'd be the first people to know. Clay and I have lived our lives together. We won awards together, got famous together, everything. We even met Kiara together." I turn to look at Kiara and Dream, who are both smiling at me.

"Actually, it was exactly 5 years ago to this day." I continue. "At a house party with a few of our friends, and Kiara happened to be there. And I knew it right then and there. That he was in love, seriously, you- you should've seen the look on his face. Not just the, 'wow, she's beauitful' look. But the 'wow, she's going to be my wife' look. Not a lot of people get to say they've had that look. Either worn that look or had it used on them. Clay was, Jesus, he was fearless, he went straight up to her and started talking to her. And she liked him. She made him laugh, he made her smile. He would go on to be Kiara's first and last boyfriend."

I glance behind me and see Kiara and Dream join hands, he kisses hers.

"Finally, I want to end my speech by saying that... I'm so honoured to be your best man," I say, looking at Dream. "And to sign the witness statement to your marriage with your soulmate. This is more than love, and I'll never forget when you pulled me aside at that same party and told me you knew you would marry the girl sitting next to you right now." I put the mic down by my side and everyone is clapping, but I quickly bring it back up.

"Oh, and, Kiara, if things don't work out, I'm right here," I crack, and everyone but Dream is laughing. Kiara is kind of laughing. Im kind of laughing, it's not really a joke. I hand the microphone back to the MC and Dream beckons me over. Nervous, I make my way over. He pulls me aside, standing up whilst the music resumes.

"This is my wedding, George," he says.

"It- it was a joke, everyone laughed," I stammer.

"Everyone but Kiara and I. You always make jokes like this, I hate it. I hate it, Kiara hates it, so drop it. Sometimes I really think if Kiara and I broke up, you'd swoop in and date her."

I would.

"It's not that deep."

Dream looks furious. He grabs me by the arm, takes me outside to the balcony where it's kind of hidden.

"You don't think I saw the way you've been looking at her?" He says, closing the door.

Shit.

"I was having my first dance with her and I saw you in awe looking at her. Get over your little crush. She's my wife."

"You constantly wave her in my face," I admit.

"Jesus, George, what the fuck are you saying?! Listen to yourself. I don't wave her around. You're jealous. Get over it. God, I could punch you right now."

"Over what?!" I shout. "A joke?!"

"It's not a fucking joke, George!" he shouts back. "You're obsessed with her! You're constantly trying to get her alone, even though you know damn well if she were even ever gonna cheat on me, it's not gonna be with you. So move. On. It's never gonna fucking happen. This is Kiara and I's wedding, I don't know how many times I have to say it to get it through you're fucking head, but let go of it."

I feel like crying. Not because I can't be with Kiara, because of the way he shouted at me. The words he said, the way he said then, the intensity in which he said them .

Kiara opens the door to the balcony. Dream turns around.

"Honey, come back inside," she says.

"Yeah. I'm coming in now," he says. He glared at me before walking in, leavinf me on the balcony. Dreams little sister walks out.

"Are you okay?" She asks.

"I'm fine," I say to her. I sit down at the bench, she sits across.

"So. You like Kiara." She says subtly.

"What?-"

"George. Everyone saw how you looked at her. How you've always looked at her. I also was standing right by the door. I heard what my brother was saying to you. It's okay, I get it, she's a beautiful girl. He was pretty harsh." She says.

"It's embarassing. She's my best friends wife." I say to her. "And that party? I met Kiara before that. I tried to make a move on her at a bar, and I got her number and she told me she'd text me. Then, we both went to that party the same night and when she went off with your brother, she told me she didn't think things would work out with us. He took her from me."

"George," Drista starts. "You never had her." She says, quietly. "You had her number. I'm sorry, but you need to stop thinking about her like that. You'll ruin your friendship with her and Clay, and it's not worth it-"

"She is. She's worth everything."

"If you're not gonna give it up, fine. Fuck everything up- Be my guest, but you're acting like a child and you know it. Grow up, George." Drista says. She gets up and leaves, and a few minutes later I walk back in. I look at Kiara, and she looks back, then says something to her husband. I immediately look away, and make my way to the bathroom. I try calm down for a bit, and I look in the mirror and breathe.

"Let go of it," I whisper to myself. "Just let go of it." I look up at myself in the mirror and straighten out my tie, before opening the bathroom door.

And as soon as I turn the corner, Dream's there waiting for me.