Oneshot No. 405 (784 Words)

NICKS PERSPECTIVE:

I slowly, quietly, open Dream's bedroom door. He glances over at me, and smiles.

"Hey, what's up?" Dream says. He's leaning over the crib of his 3 month old baby, Lola, putting on a little onesie for her.

"Nothing, I'm just bored," I say. "George is getting on my nerves."

"Oh God, what's he doing this time?" Dream mutters. He picks up Lola and rests her on his hip, lightly bouncing her up and down.

"He keeps speaking in this dumb voice, repeating everything I say-"

George comes in, and in a stupid voice, mocks me.

I hit him lightly and George grins. Dream sits down on the edge of his bed and sits Lola on his lap. He gives her a kiss on the forehead, and she giggles and smiles.

"She's such a cute baby," I say, sitting next to Dream. George sits next to Dream on the other side.

"Heyy, Lola!" George exclaims quietly, holding her hand.

"Is it hard raising her without her mom?" I ask.

"Well, I don't know what it's like raising her with a mom, so I don't really know. But I'm kind of glad her mom isn't in the picture. She was messed up. She threatened to break into my house and take her." Dream says.

"Lola's doing great. It's better off with us three raising her, but, y'know- mainly you," I say.

"God forbid any of you would change her."

-- SIX YEARS LATER --

It's Lola's 7th birthday party today, and she has all her school friends over. Dream is talking to some of the parents, whilst George and I hang around the back.

"Dream really went above and beyond with this, huh?" I say.

"Hell yeah. He got a bouncy castle, catering services, a fucking slushie machine- he's the best dad," George responds, taking a sip from his own slushie.

"All whilst being a single dad, too. I wonder if it would be different if Grace was still around."

-- NINE YEARS LATER --

Lola's 15th is tomorrow night. She's talking to George and I about it late at night, around 11pm.

I have to say, Lola looks nothing like her mom. I didn't really know Grace, but she had brown hair, fair skin and brown eyes. Lola has bright green eyes, and I've never seen anything like it. Literally bright green. She's got long, dirty blonde hair and olive skin. She's around 5'8, but I think she'll get to 5'10 in a couple years.

"I'm really excited," she says, picking grapes from the bag and throwing them up into the air to catch.

"What's your dads present to you?"

"He told me he has 15, because it's my 15th birthday, but he said the main one is a fucking 2 week holiday. During school time and everything. He's taking me to the Maldives with my friends. Not to mention he's taking us on his jet!" she exclaims. I forgot how rich Dream was for a second. Even though I'm sat in his mansion right now, and Lola is wearing silk Dior pyjamas.

"What's the other presents?" George asks.

"I only know two of them. One of them is three days of just shopping, the other is the holiday."

The front door opens, and I turn my head and look over. Dream walks in, in a suit, taking his tie off.

"Hey Dad," Lola says. Dream smiles.

"Hey guys!" he says. He puts his phone down, and hugs Lola. He kisses her on the top of her hair, messing it up a little.

"Dad, stop!" she says, fixing her hair up.

"Mm, whatever," Dream says, laughing a little bit under his breath.

"You're home late," I say.

"Yeah, it's 11," George chimes.

"I know, I had a lot of meetings today and a lot of them went overtime. I'm so tired," he complains. He runs a hand through his hair. "Lola, you should go to bed. Big day tomorrow," Dream says.

"I'll get in bed, but I can never sleep on the day before my birthday. It's impossible," she says. She hugs her Dad and says goodnigjt. She comes over to George and I and gives us both big hugs.

"Night guys," she says, making her way upstairs to her room. Patches follows her up there.

"I cant believe she's 15 tomorrow. It feels like yesterday she was only a baby," Dream says, opening a beer and taking his jacket off.

"I know, and now she's taller than Nick," George says.

"Um, no-"

"Nick. Let's be real." Dream says, shrugging.

I don't say anything, just scoff s little. The thing is, she actually IS a bit taller than me. But no way am I admitting that!