Chapter 7

Alex's pov

Uh oh.

As soon as Calix and Zach got here, I immediately knew something was off.

Shit.

This is really bad.

If they're angry at each other, there is no possible way that we're winning this game.

~

Calix's pov

"Alright. Ten minutes till we meet up again. Clear your mind, take a breather. Kick off is in twenty-five", coach says, clapping his hands together in enthusiasm.

I head to my locker, frowning as I think back to what Zach said in the car.

"I don't like it when you do shit like that... I just... nevermind..."

What the fuck does he mean? He's so complicated. First he wants to hook me up with someone, then he has a problem with it.

I roughly shove my bag into the locker, grunting in annoyance when the strap gets stuck as I try to close the door.

"Hey hey... what's wrong?", he places his hand on my shoulder.

It's Zach.

I turn toward him, taking in his gentle expression.

"Nothing...", I state, calmly closing it this time, "happy?"

He sighs, letting go of my shoulder, "Calix... I'm serious. The game starts in a few minutes and-"

"Why... are you so weird lately?", his eyes widen in surprise, almost as though he's taken aback by the question.

"Weird? What are you talking a-"

I turn toward him once more, staring him down, "Stop playing dumb, Zach." I take a step forward, he steps back.

"First you ask me if I'm planning on settling down...", I take another step, "then you want to hook me up with that guy from the store."

His back hits the wall as the space between us lessens, his gaze failing to meet mine. "Calix... what are you doing?"

I firmly place my hands next to his head, leaning down slightly. "Now, you have a problem with me doing what I have been doing for all these years."

He opens his mouth to say something, but seals it shut soon after, not having anything to say.

"What's up with you, hm?"

I force him to look at me, tilting his head with my hand.

"Jealous.. ?"

Zach's pov

Yes.

"No, it's just that... we were gonna be late... and..."

She moves her hand to my neck, resting it at the nape. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath, "Calix."

"And?"

My hand goes to grip hers, pulling lightly, "Don't do this." I open my eyes, looking directly into her dark orbs.

"Do what?", she smiles playfully, running the hand up into my hair.