Chapter 1

Calix's pov

"Touch... pause..." My breath quickens as my heart thunders in my ears.

"Engage!"

I grab ahold of my friends' shirt, pushing as hard as my body will allow me to.

"Come on, let's go! Forward! Forward McAslin!"

My head pounds as I brace myself against my team mate - the smell of grass bellow me not fresh, but overwhelming.

"Alright! Let's call it a day. McAslin, freshen up and come see me in ten."

I heave an exasperated sigh as I sit up, catching my breath.

"Man, what's up with you today?", my friend Alex asks.

"Hangover."

He laughs as he follows suit, sitting next to me. "Do tell me how you plan on explaining that to coach?"

I undo my wrist straps, shrugging my shoulders, "I don't know."

He gets up, extending his arm towards me.

"Well come on, can't keep him waiting."

I reluctantly take his hand, making myself limp as he tries to pull me up.

"Calix! Stop playing!"

I chuckle as he tries again, but ends up dragging me on the grass instead.

"Why are you so heavy?!"

He continues to drag me across the field, trying and failing at finding leverage to pull me to my feet.

"Maybe you're just weak."

He stops in his tracks as he gapes at me in disbelief.

I finally get up, bolting to the locker rooms.

"Calix! You didn't actually mean that, right!?"

~

"Coach."

"McAslin. You are aware of the upcoming game this Saturday, yes?"

I nod, adjusting myself in his chair.

"Then act like it. You make it seem like our victory is guaranteed."

I get up, "That's because it is, sir."

"Not with your performance lately, no."

My expression falters.

"Listen, I know you're the only woman on this team and that it takes a tremendous amount of mental and physical strain to get where you are now", he pauses, "... but I made you team captain for a reason."

He takes a few steps towards me.

"Where's that burning passion now, huh? Did something happen that I'm unaware of?"

I look him dead in the eye, clenching my jaw.

"No, sir."

He nods, taking easy steps as he walks towards his desk.

"I need you to go back to the drawing board. We need a new strategy to win Saturday, and I know I can count on you not to disappoint me or your team."

I nod firmly, "Yes, sir."

"You're dismissed. Rest up for tomorrow."