Ch 61 - The Collector

Start from the beginning

"And that's exactly what she is." Jacob spoke, hand on my hip tightening a bit.

"I can... control abilities. In a sense, Jacob's right. I collect powers." whispers circled us again. "It's not automatic!" I spoke over them. "I'm not stealing anyone's gifts!" I made that clear, that being at the forefront of everyone's mind. "You keep your powers, but just know, I can alter them, lessen their effect."

'She could be stopping my gift from working,' I picked up on a particular thought.

"Not exactly, Maggie, was it?" she raised an eyebrow at me. "You all think loud, did you know that?" I huffed. "It takes touch. To stop a gift. Once I make contact, I can decide when to turn it on or off. It's not as easy as I'm making it sound, believe me. It's like playing a match of arm wrestling. My mental prowess against their own. But once I... copy.... a gift, it's mine. But my control varies. It's like riding a bike, you don't forget, the muscles remember, but I can get... rusty." I rubbed the back of my neck and looked sheepishly at Jacob when I felt him pinch my hip.

"So, you could essentially copy my ability?" That boy, Benjamin, said excitedly. "May we try?" I nervously laughed. Jacob's growl caused him to pause from nearing. "And you, you can really turn into a wolf?" There wasn't malice in his voice, just genuine curiosity. Maybe that's why Jacob chose to answer by nodding his head. "Amazing." His wide eyes reminded me of a child's. The thought saddened me, missing my own. I cleared my throat.

"The last thing we want is for Aro to know just how strong Violette has the potential to be. He'd stop at nothing to add her to his ranks."

"Like I said before, some of you are here out of duty," I looked to the Denali and Paris covens, nodding to them. "But the majority of you are here out of curiosity." Silence that came was expected, their thoughts still loud, however. "And yet, we all can say, we don't trust the Volturi." The whispers picked up again, covens and mates speaking amongst each other.

"Carlisle mentioned there would be no fighting. I will not risk my coven." The red headed vampire who flanked the lie detector spoke up.

"And he's right. I'm sure my brother has mentioned it before. We are not asking you to fight. Just bear witness to whatever transpires. Act as our witnesses when it comes to defending my niece's lineage.

"And why is your existence not enough?" A nomad I was unfamiliar with spoke up, his mate clinging to him.

"Violette had hidden that she is a hybrid. We need you all to witness as my daughter grows, because she grows at an accelerated rate each day. We need the numbers to give him reason to stop and listen, rather than act right away."

"Act in violence right off the bat? The Volturi? Never." Garette spoke out, sarcasm dripping off every word.

"And that's all it's been about then? Hiding your abilities to avoid the attention of the Volturi?" my neck snapped to look to the door, Kate standing there expectantly. I nodded to her.

"Well, I for one," the Benjamin boy steps forward again. "Am eager to see what you can do, what you both can do. What do the rest of you say?" He smiled to me and I nod back thankful.

"This is gonna be fun!" I look to Vance and chuckle.

"Let's see if she can copy my power, too!" I look to Bella shocked, but Jacob is the one that beats me to the punch.

"Hold up, too?! You have powers now Bells?"

"Eleazar gave us the idea that Bella is a psychic shield." My mouth fell open at the revelation.

"That's why you couldn't read her mind, but I could! I was negating her untapped abilities! Is it only mental then?"

"I tried shocking the crap out of her. No luck." Kate chuckled and I laughed.