Chapter 18

15 August 2014.

Steph, Marcus and I shake hands with each other as we congratulate ourselves for successfully passing the first couple of weeks in this marathon fully satisfied and without any casualties.

Out of the 15 outfits we will be presenting at the fashion show, 4 of them are mine. That is, the base idea is mine. Of course, in the upcoming days, we will be applying many modifications and accessories that will make all the outfits chosen ours. And I am very excited about that.

In order to celebrate the end of the second week. Marcus invites Stephanie and I out for drinks. We spend a good deal of time together, laughing and reliving some of the last weeks' moments.

"And that time-" Stephanie bursts laughing.

"And that time Lauren was so mad and sleep deprived that -" She bursts again.

"She put my hat on her head while leaving. And she did not even have a hat that day."

We all laugh remembering how funny it was that Stephanie tried to tell me that I had her hat on and I insisted that I did not until she put up a mirror.

"Oh my God. Guys. I'm late. I need to go." I say suddenly realizing what time it is.

"Where you going?" I hear one of them asks but am in such a rush that I do not stop to respond.

I turn on the car and drive right away to the airport.

****

"Where the hell were you?" he asks with a jokingly mad tone.

I hug him and help him with his carry-on. I parked near. It shouldn't be long.

"So how has it been?" he asks as he takes his seat beside me in the car.

"Very good actually. Everything is going according to plan."

"What about your personal life?"

"Made some friends. I always have company. Haven't felt lonely a day since I got here."

"That's good."

I nod. "And you? How have you been? How's mom and dad?"

"All good. They miss you."

We are a very close family. Back in Switzerland, I always spend the weekends at my parents' home. And if I have enough time, I visit during the week. Louis does the same. My parents have always believed that raising their kids to have a tight family is like giving them an eternal safe haven to come back to. And I think they were right.

Louis is coming to London for only the weekend, after which he will be leaving to Thomas' in Manchester. Louis and Thomas are very close friends. In fact, Louis has been to Manchester many times before. It just so happens that I have been in London for the past couple of months and he passed by this time to see me.

"I miss them as well. And your summer semester, how was it?"

"Great as usual. Will you be there for my thesis defence?"

If I was born with a good taste and some artistic view (I would like to think so), Louis was born with brains. He is 22 and currently finishing his MS degree in Mathematics. When Louis speaks math, no one understands anything. At least, not in the family.

"I won't understand shit, but I'll be there." I joke and he cracks a laugh.

"Are you too tired or should we go out for dinner?" I ask.

"Dinner sounds nice."

****

I come back home at around 2am in the morning. Louis and I spent a long night together. We were both in a very good mood. He updated me about everything going on back at home and I told him all about where we currently are in the competition, that Robinson will be there, my friends; Claire, Liam, Conall. And of course, we speak about the everlasting hot topic; Harry.

I drive him to the hotel where he booked a room and go back home.

Oh yes, home.

As soon as I step in, I feel overwhelmed with the feeling of peace and safety. This is home. This place, no matter how new, no matter that I am sharing it with someone, no matter that it is not actually mine and that it won't be lasting, feels now, in this moment, very much like home. And I love it.

Harry is still up in the living room.

"Hi Harry." I say with a low voice.

"Lauren, there are you and me in this house. And both of us are awake. So you can speak normally."

"Right." I say whispering again, by mistake. Harry lets out a small laugh and I continue my way to the bedroom.

I take a shower and put on my pajamas. I am going to the kitchen to bring a bottle of water from the fridge and take it with me to the room. I open the fridge, take it out and turn around. Harry is standing at the door looking at me.

"You know, I never thanked you for being around."

That look on his face again. Loss looks the same on everyone, and at every single time.

"I think it is a good idea to quit smoking if you want my opinion." I say after a few seconds and a smile, trying to remove the tension that is starting to build up in the room.

"Oh but Lauren, I don't want it." he says imitating my voice, only half-joking and with his british accent, and leaves.