Chapter 59: HIGH Hopes

Georgia

I sat there looking at the woman that has hated me since I was 14 years old.

She looked at my sister, "she is so pretty," she whispered, and my sister smiled.
"Yeah, she is," she whispered back, which made me chuckle.

Grams looked so different; the last time I saw her, she told me that I would never make it as a doctor and that the best thing I was good for was laying on my back and making babies. That was the last day I was in Georgia before heading to South Carolina; I wanted to get as far away from this place as possible. When I got my acceptance letter, she ripped it up and told me I wasn't going to leave when my far couldn't go anywhere.
"Are you a friend of Donald's" grams said to me. I look at Summer, confused.
"Yes, Gram, she is a friend of Donald," she said and gave me a look.
"Oh good! Can you tell him that I want to see him? He hasn't been in to see me since I been here," she said, and I shook my head.
"That's because he is in jail... For killing my mom," I snapped, and she looked even more confused than ever.

"What is she talking about, Denise!?" she said, looking at my sister. She became agitated and started to panic; I stood up and moved back because she started yelling.

"DONALD?!? Donald?!? Why is she lying to you?" She began to scream. Stop lying!?! I told Donald not to get involved with you?!? You're a liar, Rachel," she yelled at me.

Summer stood up as the nurses walked into the room; she moved over to the side with Langston and me as the nurses gave her something that calmed her down.

She began to calm down and soon drifted off; I a hook my head. I walked out of the room, and Summer grabbed my arm.

"Why would you say that to her?!" she yelled at me, and I scoffed.

"Because it's true, just because she crazy as hell doesn't mean I'm going to sugarcoat shit. Why did she call you Denise?" I asked, and Summer shook her head, coming to sit beside me.

"Because she is confusing us with our mothers; at first, she remembered who I was, but as time passed, she began calling me Denise. When I used to bring Lizzie, she called her Georgia; so she remembers certain things, but it's all jumbled up in her head," she said; I looked over at her, and she was crying.

She and grams were always close, so I know this is killing her. I placed my hand in hers, and she smiled, leaning against me.

Langston came out of the room and came towards us, "So they gave her some meds, and they said she will be knocked out for a few hours and said we can come back," he said.

"Im going to stay here with grams; you guys go ahead." Summer said, getting up and walking away from us.

Langston turned towards me and smiled, "How bout we go to get something to eat?" he said, and I shrugged.

"Im not hungry..." I said quietly, but as soon as I said it, my stomach made an awful growling sound, and I held it.

Langston chuckled and held out his hand; "Come on; we will come back," he said as I grabbed his hand, leading me outside.

Monique

Justin rolled me out of the hospital, and I began to feel a wave of emotions come over me; I didn't want to leave Sean here by himself.

I told Justin that, but he told me that I needed to go home and get some real rest. I haven't been able to sleep since I had Sean; every time I see him in that little incubator, it makes my heart break into a million pieces.

He is a fighter; every day, he gets stronger and stronger, and the doctors say they are confident in his progress, but that still doesn't make me feel better. I will feel better when he is at home with me.