Chapter 58 - Well Fed

Start from the beginning

"None of that! We all take care of one another!" She smiled as she balled up the dirty linens and tossed them to the side while she fetched a new pair. "Although, you did just lament into me that I'm definitely not having a home birth." She and Leah laughed; I felt my blush deepen. "These numbskulls do NOT know how to keep calm." Now Leah laughed and I looked at her quizzically as Emily fixed the bed.

"She's right. I never seen dudes look so freaked out at the thought of birth," Leah scoffed. "Did you see the look on Jared and Embry's face?" She chuckled. "They actually turned green!" I laughed at that, finally able to sit down on the bed. "God, boys are so dumb."

"I sent one for water and at one point all of them had bins filled with water," Emily chuckled.

"Embry showed up with bottled waters," Leah deadpanned, the three of us going quiet before laughing hysterically.

"I can hear you, you know?" We heard from outside, only causing us to laugh louder. We began to quiet down when we heard the babies begin to whimper.

"Okay, how you want to do this, love? I can hand them to you one at a time or you want to see if you can get both to latch at once?" I was unsure myself. Still very weary of how this would go. How would these two women, who were accustomed to tales of hating and killing my kind, react to my children possibly not having an appetite for milk, but blood instead?

"I can help her from here." We turned to look by the door, Jacob standing there looking serious and sheepish at the same time somehow. At least he'd had the decency to wipe the blood off his body. The atmosphere quickly became tense, both girls nodding before making their way out, and Jacob coming closer. Leah was going to hand Aria over to me, being the baby closest to me. "You can pass her to me." Jacob said, walking forward to take Aria from me. I saw him smile down at her, and had the atmosphere not been tense, I would have found it endearing.

"I can take Logan, Leah." I smiled to her and she nodded. I saw Jacob open his mouth to protest but I gave him a look and he promptly shut it, opting to look down at Aria.

"Give us a shout if you need anything." Emily smiled tensely before going downstairs, being sure to close the door. I fully expected Jacob to explain himself, but he played dumb. Opting instead to coo at our little girl.

I just sighed, staring at my little man. I rubbed his tiny cheek that matched the same beautiful tone of his father. If I hadn't just gone through the hell of pushing him out myself, I would have doubted he was born not but a couple hours ago. I laughed when I saw his nose crinkle when my hair fell forward, having clearly tickled. I leaned down, kissing his dark hair. In my dream, they both had dark curly locks, my boy's hair curlier than his sister's. Currently, it wasn't as curly as in the dream, his sister's looking straight even, yet they both already had plenty of hair.

"They're perfect, baby." I felt Jacob sit next to me. I stiffened for a second, but then relaxed when I saw my little girl.

"Yeah," I sighed in content. "They really are." I saw Logan begin to get fussy and realized it was time to find out whether or not they fed like a human, or like Nessie and I. I began to move to lower the large shirt up; seeing that I was having difficulty with it, Jacob went to help. I saw his cheeks turn a bright red, as he helped me lift the shirt. He stared tensely, waiting to see too. I heard both of us sigh in relief when he didn't bite into me right away.

"Little guy did it!" he did his best to quiet his obvious enthusiasm. He went to pet his hair before doing the same to mine and giving me a kiss. "Think you can do both?" I looked at Aria, who was silently looking about.

"She's not fussy, yet. And I'm still not sure if I'm doing this right, to be honest." I chuckled nervously. It wasn't like either of us had someone to teach us this stuff. This wasn't a worry we had as vampires and I think the only one with experience might have been Sue. However, I was much too embarrassed to ask her for any more help especially after what I witnessed Jacob doing to her son. Speaking of.

"Looks like he's got the hang of it, at least." Jacob snapped me out of my doubts, petting back our boy's little hair. I stayed quiet, looking at him. He went back to rocking Aria when she began to make little noises. "What? Am I not doing this right?" He asked, nervous.

"Going to tell me what that was about, back there? With Seth?" His expression darkened and he looked away, clearly brooding. "Jacob?" He still didn't answer, turning himself away from me a bit. I sighed, shaking my head. All I could hear was hushed talk outside and little Logan feeding. When he was done, I tried to get Jacob's attention, but he was clearly spaced out. "Jacob." I said firmly. He looked at me shocked.

"Sorry, ready to swap?" I nodded. He took Logan easily and proceeded to gingerly pass me Aria. "Do I... burp him?" he asked hesitantly and I nodded.

"Please." I tried to get Aria to latch, but was having no luck. I began to get a little worried. "Come on, Ari. Please? For mommy?" I tried to coax her. Jacob was currently standing, patting Logan's little back softly as he slowly walked around the room.

"She's not eating?" I frowned, feeling tears welling in my eyes with worry. "Hey, hey it's okay. Maybe she's just no hungry?" I frowned.

"Maybe..." I had a sudden thought. "I wonder if... I can still feel them?" Jacob looked at me funny. "Their emotions and stuff..." I trailed off. I gave it a try. I could feel Jacob's just fine. Irritable, moody, worried, yet happy, gleeful and nervous all in one. I'd bring it up again later. I just got nothing but blissful peace coming from a now sleeping Logan. I peered down at my little girl and couldn't feel much of anything.

"Nothing?" I tried harder and I saw her begin to get fussy. "D-does that hurt her?" he asked, worried.

"It shouldn't." I whispered, confused. I tried to read her mind and was thoroughly surprised when I saw her eyes staring right at me. Like she knew what I was trying to do. If she was conscious to the same degree I had been, it wouldn't hurt to try a direct approach. "You need to eat. Okay?" Her pretty grey eyes stared into my own, unblinking. She blinked at me once and suddenly I could feel it. Hunger. Curiosity. Longing. "Yeah.... hunger... you're hungry, right?" I grinned wide when she closed her eyes and began to suckle.

"Did she... understand you?" Jacob asked, wide eyed, mouth agape.

"Y-yeah... sort of." I smiled to her, petting back her hair and kissing her forehead too. "He asleep still?" Jacob looked down to check, nodding back.

"Yeah... just burped and went to sleep." he chuckled softly, cradling the baby in his arms. "They're so amazing," he said in awe. "He actually bruised a couple fingers! Like he's got mini hybrid strength." he chuckled and I looked down at her.

"She's like me." I said lightly. "She's hyper aware."

"You could feel her emotions now?"

"She LET me feel them. Like she chose to let me in. She was mostly curious. She knew she felt something but was trying to understand what it was she felt. Hunger was at the forefront... some curiosity... and longing? I think she missed her brother." I smiled to him. Jacob looked down, spaced out again. I'd let him organize his thoughts for now. Waiting peacefully for now, as I watched Aria eat contently.

Minutes later, she was finished and her eyes opened for a second to blink at me before she let a little sigh leave her lips and start to drift off to sleep. I lowered my shirt, finding that easier to do, and began to try to burp her. Finally, both twins were successfully fed and sleeping contently. I felt another weight lift off my shoulders as a worry of mine faded into nothing. They fed like normal infants did! The blissful thought making me a little sleepy, but as I looked at my child in my arms it dawned on me.

"Jacob?" I inquired.

"Mmm?" He hummed at me, still spaced out.

"Their cribs. None of their or our stuff is here. The house wasn't planned to be ready until next week." I reminded him. That seemed to have jostled him back into reality as he quickly turned, accidentally causing Logan to fuss for a second before he fell back asleep.

"Crap... that's right. Think your brother still has Nessie's crib? Or I can go grab the twins' and stay at your old room?" he suggested. My face fell.

"Jake.... they're here. They're born." he looked at me confused, so I continued. "I... I can hide their existence....I can fight. I can help." I clarified. I saw his eyes widened before he looked away, glaring.  

A/N hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know we have another 10 episodes left to this (: Really hoping to hear some feedback to get me through this last hurtle!!! Contemplating to leave the ending ambiguously or give you all an Epilogue (: please let me know!