"Pathetic dick, I think it was." She corrected with a laugh.

"I've never had anyone in my life like you, Briar, and I thought I needed to push you away because of my job, and my livelihood, but I don't want to do that anymore," I told her, then corrected myself, "I won't do it anymore."

"Whatever happens between you and I is our business, and I am sorry that I treated you like I did. I'll do better."

She gave me a shy smile, "I'd really love that."

She moved the blanket off of her lap, and got closer to me, taking my hand in hers, "Thank you for that, and thank you for my gift. I love it." She leaned in and gave the tip of my nose a kiss, and in return I felt my heart drop to my fuckin' stomach like I was some teenager boy who just got to see tits for the first time.

Who the fuck have I turned into?

I was about ready to excuse myself, when I remembered the last reason I was down here, "We have plans for tonight," I told her, and she scrunched her face like she did when she was confused, "It's a halloween charity event," I explained, "I buy a table every year for the local children's hospital, and they do a dinner and a silent auction. It's halloween themed."

While I usually only went for appearances, and to stay in the cities good graces, this year was different. I decided I would take Briar and let her pick something out, for her birthday of course, but also to benefit Boston's hospital.

"That's great, but like, what do I wear to something like that?" She asked, "And how does that work? Am I even able to go, like am I invited?" She started to ramble, and I knew she was starting to become anxious, uncertainty plaguing her usually calm demeanor.

"Calm down," I instructed, squeezing her hand, "I will have someone come over and help you get ready. And you are allowed to be wherever you want, especially if I am there. Alright?" I confirmed, and she nodded her head, "Gotcha."

"Now that that's settled," I told her, while standing up, and dragging her up with me, "Get your pretty ass back inside before you get sick."

She let out a laugh, obviously thinking I was kidding, but she laughed even harder when I picked her up and tossed her over my shoulder.

"In we go." I told her, and gave her a firm slap on the ass, making her let out a squeal in response, "Barbarian!" She called out,

"Brat."

After I carried her back into the mansion in the same position, Briar told me she wanted to go take nap before she had to get ready. I let her go up to the bedroom, and I went straight to my office, knowing I needed to take care of a few things.

Once she got settled in, I made a call to someone I knew who would be able to make house calls and deliver dresses, and afterward I had some business to take care of with Rich, a conversation that was long overdue.

My office door was already open, but he knocked on it anyways, "You requested me, Don?" He asked, and I nodded my head, standing up from my desk, "I did."

He went to take a seat, but I stopped him before he could, "No need, I don't need you here long," I started, and he furrowed his brows, "Alright, what did you need?"

"Any word on Thomas Crenshaw?"

"Nothing certain, but we have a lead and we have Carter and Dax checking it out."

"Good." I decided, and took a deep breath, preparing for the next part of the conversation, "I've thought about what you said about the situation with Briar, and as it turns out, I don't give a single fuck what you think of her."

His eyes widened as he took a step forward, obviously trying to backpedal, but I put an end to it, "You overstepped, and she is no longer your concern. I will not be killing her, and she will stay here." I told him, and he shook his head, "I'm sorry, Don, I just feel-"

I interrupted, "I don't pay you to feel, I pay you to do what the fuck you're told. And you are being told to leave her the fuck alone."

He nodded his head once, "Yes Don, I understand."

"Now that that's finished," I sat back down, "She will be attending the hospital gala with me tonight, you are still welcome to come if you would like. Gia and Miles as well."

"Yes Don, Gia and I will be there." He confirmed, "And I am truly sorry."

I nodded my head, "Get out." I dismissed him. I could not be lenient with him, I would not have my staff questioning my authority. I already had a twenty year old girl questioning me at every turn, I didn't need a forty four year old man on my case as well.

•••
Thoughts?!