/75/

this is a double update! make sure u read 74 before this <3

~~*~~
'Hot Shot'

I sit in silence, looking around the empty room I've been put in.

I just spent ten minutes in the back of a cop car, glaring my eyes at the back of Landon's seat. I don't know why he was there, or even if he was allowed to be in the front seat of that car, but he wouldn't answer me. Neither him, nor the officer did.

I don't know what to think. I wasn't handcuffed, and I'm not now. The officer literally just asked me to get in the car, and out of fear, I did.

I don't know what's going on. All I know is that it's weird, and that I don't like it.

I tap my fingers on the table, using my other hand to press the water bottle I was provided up to my lips. I'm worried. Worried about Molly, about Brooks, about myself. There's no telling what's happening for them. It's making me nauseous just thinking about it.

Suddenly, the door behind me cracks open. I jolt my head around at the loud noise. An officer opens the door, holding it out for Landon. He quietly steps inside, and the officer closes it, leaving both of us alone.

"What's this about, huh?" I demand an answer, standing up from the chair.

He stays silent. Instead, he fronts me, sitting down in the seat across from mine. He places his hands on the cool metal table and looks up at the dim light.

He bites his tongue, and looks away. His face goes pale, like he's ill, "I'm sorry."

After one second of silence, I burst into a quick laughter, "Good one."

"You don't believe me?" he squints his eyes.

"Pfft, no," I shake my head frantically, throwing myself back down in the seat. "You're never sorry. Besides, I don't even know what any of this is about."

"My dad," he fixes the bandage on his nose. "I... I heard what he was saying to you. I was behind the door eavesdropping."

A couple of details piece together in my mind. That's why he wasn't in the yard when I left. He was inside, hiding and eavesdropping. And that's also why I'm here.

"Judging by the way you act, I'm surprised you aren't an accomplice," I taunt, taking another sip from my drink.

"I might not be the nicest person, but I'm definitely not a murderer," he expresses.

"Okay? Am I supposed to sit here and praise you for being normal?" I roll my eyes, kicking my feet up onto the table.

"No, just... the police are going to come in here, talk to you for a bit. They're probably going to want your full story, and if you have any other evidence, just give it to them-"

"Woah, slow down," I sit up tall in the seat, planting my feet on the ground. "Did you turn your dad in?"

"I thought I made that pretty clear," he shrugs his shoulders.

"Is this a trick?" I raise my eyebrow. "What's in it for you?"

"Nothing," he purses his lips. He looks like he's lying, but maybe that's just his resting face. "I just realized that you were probably screwed if I didn't do something. So I recorded what I could, and turned it in. They know he's trying to pay them off, and they know about Brooks now."

My face drops, "There has to be a catch."

There's no way, out of his own free will, he's helping me. Maybe he is doing something nice, but he'd never do something for me unless it also benefited him.