/70/

10 chapters left :(

~~*~~
'Hot Shot'

"I just... it's been two days and I still- I still can't process it," I repeat for the fourth time, pacing from one wall to the other.

This is how I've been ever since we found out Eric Reeves was behind everything. A wreck. An absolute wreck.

I've been ranting rather than problem-solving, worrying rather than focusing, thinking rather than sleeping. I'm drained and in shock, horrified and hurt.

There are only two things bringing me peace. One, my father, based on the information we've gathered, was and has always been the amazing man that I saw him as. The full story is still unclear, but it's safe to say that he was never as cold-hearted or cruel as that letter put him out to be. Just like me, he is innocent. That's brought me a lot of peace. All of my memories of him, the ones that I've trashed and shamed myself for revisiting over the years, are okay to look over now. It fucks with my head a little bit, but that's why I have Molly. She's the second thing that brings me peace. Her words, her reassurance, and simply just her presence is a reminder that soon this could potentially all be over.

For the last two days, we've been planning and doing more research within the dealership. We compiled everything- our proof, our theories- and once everything is lined up we're going to take it to the police back in Kouver. The only thing we can't find any information on is those children that were drugged and murdered.

Eric is probably the only one who knows what happened to them, because so far, we haven't found a single thing.

"I've been living in the same town as Eric for years," I cover my hands on my face, pouring out my thoughts. "Christ, and Landon probably knows what he's done. That's why he's been so irritating ever since I met him. Making my life a living hell must run in the family."

Or he's just a dick. Wouldn't be surprised.

"You keep repeating the same sentences, H," Molly, who's sitting on our bed with a book in her hand, graciously reminds me. "And you look exhausted, just lay down and get some rest."

"Actually, I slept perfectly last night," I scoff, lazily combing my hands through my hair. "And it's morning. I have a whole day ahead of me."

"You mean a whole day of worrying ahead of you?" she tilts her head suspiciously. "I seriously doubt you slept at all last night."

"What makes you think that?" I test, watching her stand up from the bed.

"Because I kept waking up to you tossing and turning. You were wide awake every time," she stands in front of me, reaching down to grab my wrists. "So come on, lay back down."

She starts to pull me over to the bed, and I frown, "Molly, I'll be fine. I just have to get my mind off of it."

Which is fairly impossible, but so is sleeping.

"How? We're supposed to go back to the dealership again today," she pulls me right on the edge of the bed. She falls back, taking me with her. "You can't get your mind off Eric or your dad if we're there."

"Then I'll take a break. I won't go today, I'll go tomorrow," I reason with her, rolling over onto the space beside her. "I'll just stay here by myself."

"No," she laughs. "There is no way I'm leaving you alone. You'll drive yourself crazy," she turns on her side, looking at me. "We can all take a break today. Zayn probably wants one, and you need one. Tomorrow we'll go back, get everything else we need from the dealership, and then we'll leave and head back to Kouver the following day."