20 | Best Friend

Sophomore Year
My hands were sweaty, I was practically shitting bricks standing outside of my front door.

He will scold me, I knew this but why didn't I learn from all the other times? The thing was, I did learn but once I was met with the same situation that gets me into trouble—I don't hesitate and that leads me to this.

Scared to enter my house, not because my dad would yell at me but the disappointment in his eyes. He never yells, he's the calmest person I've ever known. When he did get mad he would only speak sternly, but never yelled.

I inhaled sharply, my hand finally finding the door knob and opening the door. Once I step into the house I notice this was my time to make a run for it as my dad was nowhere in sight. Jogging up the stairs but did not make it to the top as I heard my name being called. "Jisung"

I halt my steps and hesitantly peer over my shoulder at my dad who stood at the end of the stairs. "Hey dad, how was your day?" I acted like nothing happened, smiling at him.

"It was great... until I got a call from the school that you skipped your morning classes "

I turn around and laugh nervously "Yeah, about that-"

"Why do you keep doing this Jisung?" My smile drops as he stares at me disappointedly. Exactly what I was afraid of.

I hated this look. He hardly expressed himself but his eyes always said it all. I knew he was trying his best and that he lost mom just like I did and I was being selfish—giving him a hard time and making it feel like he wasn't doing enough. I hate myself for making him feel that way.

I look down and shrug "I-I don't know" I mumble.

"Was it Minho's idea?" I look up and shake my head.

"What? No! Minho wasn't even there"

"And now your lying? Jisung I just got off the phone with Minho's parents" I swallowed harshly, shit.

"Fine, he was but only for the second hour to find me" I came clean. I was trying to keep Minho out of this but to no surprise, Minho's parents and my dad have gotten quite close.

My dad nods, looking away from me, and says "We'll finish this after dinner". He looks back at me and I nod before he walks away.

I stare absently at the place he was just standing, hearing him walk into the kitchen to get dinner ready. Guilt flooded my body and I bit my bottom lip as my eyes started to burn with tears.

I turn around and walk upstairs, staring blankly as I make my way to my room. Closing the door behind me as my body leans back onto the door, letting out a shaky breath.

"I'm a bad son" My vision grows more blurry as I say the words out loud. The sound of light drops of rain hitting my window as I stand there—wiping every tear off my cheek the second it escapes.

I close my eyes briefly, inhaling deeply. "Boys don't cry" The voice echos in my brain, "Little girls cry, boys are supposed to be tuff"

I nod, knowing the person wasn't here with me but still—I took those words and opened my eyes, my vision now clear. I take off my bag and drop it by the door before walking away and throwing myself on my bed. Staring at the ceiling "I'm stronger than this" I mumble.