Chapter 103: Hiding The Phrase Sorry, Forever Unable to Say It Out Loud

Since Yan Yu left that place when he was eighteen, he had never been back. His maternal grandfather had always used to say, however far he could get away, go even farther than that. Best if he never came back at all for the rest of his life. Yan Yu took it as gospel and never stepped foot into the city again.

The intercity bus drove steadily on the road, and from the scenery flashing past the glass windows, unbeknownst as to when, it had already become the season when rape blossoms bloomed. In front of their eyes were golden fields upon golden fields, and with pollen blowing up from the slightest breeze, it seemed like everything was in its perfect placement from the front to the back of the houses, to the fields and the forests.

He retracted his gaze as they were soon approaching the city and underneath the surface, Yan Yu wasn't very calm. Xun Chuan was in his ghostly state, sitting on his lap and quietly watching the scenery flashing by. Using a voice that only Yan Yu could hear, his tone sounded a bit off,

"When I came here last time, it looked so empty and barren, with nothing around."

Yan Yu didn't say anything, with only the indiscernible movement of his hands tightening as his response.

It took about four to five hours of travelling time to get to X City, and they were still in the early part of their trip. He leaned back on the chair, half dreaming, half awake under the car's shaking trembles, and dreamt of a very weird but familiar dream.

Behind him was a leather sofa, cold to the touch, and all around him was a loud mix of noises. Almost as if someone was crying and wailing like a ghost on a mic. He opened his eyes and a crowd of humans greeted him. Under the rapidly changing bright lights, changing faster than an eye could see, Yan Yu realized then that he was in a private room at a bar.

He had his own consciousness, but his body movements were not under his control. "He" reached out to grab a bottle of alcohol from the coffee table and filled up his glass, the color shining and glistening in its beautiful sheen. His fingers were holding a cigarette as its flame flickered in and out.

A cellphone was on the coffee table, vibrating on and off for a few times before Yan Yu finally took a look at the caller ID. He hesitated a bit before accepting the call, but his tone was extremely cold and disinterested when he spoke,

"What?"

A frosty wind seemed to be howling on the other side, coming in waves. Xun Chuan was sniffing, perhaps from crying or just from the cold, and he took a deep breath as he desperately tried to stay calm. He said,

"The twenty thousand you wanted, I've transferred it into your account."

Yan Yu flicked the ash off his cigarette, his handsome face looking unclear under the flickering light,

"Not bad. Could be the breakup fee."

There seemed to be a loss of sound before the noise of quickened breaths came though, confirming for Yan Yu that Xun Chuan must have been crying. He didn't hang up and had quite the patience to wait for the other to respond.

"I'm not breaking up!"

Xun Chuan was crying to the point where his breath couldn't catch up. He angrily kicked the suitcase by his feet and crouched by the train station, yelling muffledly,

"I'm not breaking up! It's not even that I don't give you the money you wanted. Even if I die, I won't ever break up with you!"

Yan Yu hung up on the call then and threw his phone back onto the coffee table. He knocked his head back to down a glass of wine. Beside him was a bald man singing k1 with a tattoo of a snake on his hand. Seeing Yan Yu down the glass, he whistled,