Chapter 48: Judgment

<<A New Account of the Tales of the World>> has this stated: "P'an Yueh had an extraordinarily handsome appearance and an attractive personality. When he was young he used to carry a crossbow and go out on the streets of Lo-yang, and all the women who met him would join hands to encircle him."1

Da Jin, as a country, was quite open. Although handsome men did not get fruit thrown at them when spotted by young females2, numerous handkerchiefs and perfume sachets were dropped down on them instead.

Chen Miao Ping was in his official robes, a dark turquoise color with a silver chain hanging by his waist. He had reported to the Chief Surveillance Bureau early in the morning and now he was leading a group of soldiers out to patrol the streets. From his appearance to his presence, he was all too eye-catching, capturing the gazes of all the eyes of the women on the streets.

From up above in a building along the street they were patrolling, another flower sewn pouch was thrown down, landing somehow right into Chen Miao Ping's arms. He opened it to find no money inside, and instead it was only stuffed with dried flowers. He couldn't help but smile upwards and then threw it back up to where it came from.

Above his head, he could hear an embarrassed feminine laugh ring out. The sound was like silver bells, like birds singing. It must have come from one of the young girls that were leaning their bodies out over the balcony, looking no older than thirteen years of age.

"You, young man, are such a cold hearted person!"

Chen Miao Ping pitched his voice up and said back to them,

"You ladies are being stifled by being kept here in the capital. With your skills at aiming, you should be part of the Division of Inspired Archery! Ha ha ha ha."

With him leading the entire patrol, it looked like a group of bandits barging onto the streets. This made it very evident that the identity of this man could only be the new City Warden Inspector.

They all say that to become a newly appointed official, you need to show off your authority as the one in charge. The second-in-command of the city inspectors, Qian Tong, was scared that this newly appointed boss would catch something minuscule to use as a show of his authority. He racked his brains to find a way to please this new boss or at least try and take the chance to get a feel of what this boss would be like. On first impression, he thought that Chen Miao Ping was the passive kind and so, he immediately went to flatter him,

"Usually we don't come across any issues during these patrols. Only tiny arguments like those between couples. Da-Ren3, you only need to manage the inner city as these subordinates can split into four groups to patrol the other areas. After your afternoon tea break, Da-ren, you just have to walk around to show your face and then when time is up, you can go home."

And then added,

"If we continue to head this way, we will reach Chun Xiao House. If Da-Ren is interested, please head in to check it out."

Seeing Qian Tong's perverted face, Chen Miao Ping instantly understood what kind of place it was. He smiled and shook his head,

"It's alright."

Although he was quite curious, if he really went in, Xie Yu Zhi would bring an entire platoon of the personal guards from Chang Guo Gong's estate and chop him into pieces.

Ping Kang Alley was quite lively in the daytime filled with noise and chatter from all the passing merchants and commoners. Chen Miao Ping felt that it was quite a new experience for him and like a countryside gal coming to the city for the first time, he was looking left and right, up and down, everywhere his eyes could see, to take in all the new sights.