Chapter 49: Entertainment District

The chubby boy came forward to take a closer look, but Chen Miao Ping had already moved the pendant over towards his eyes. In one quick movement, the boy's eyes were filled with the enlarged legs of the ant, and each tiny wiggle could be seen clearly. His eyes were the same, widened in shock from the sudden image.

Chen Miao Ping chuckled before letting go of the ant,

"How was that? Do you want to buy it or not now?"

The chubby boy blinked his eyes, looking quite dumbfounded before furiously shaking his head up and down,

"Yes...... Yes, I will buy it!!!"

Chen Miao Ping said,

"Do you know where the Chief Surveillance Bureau office is? Send your money and the rock crystal there today and you can pick it up the day after tomorrow. There's no point in lying to a child, so take my word as truth. I will take my leave now as I still have my duties to do."

The chubby boy quickly tugged him back and looked so sincerely at him,

"Ah ah ah. If I give you the money in a bit, can you give me yours now? The one hanging by your waist?"

"The one I have on me?"

This was something he gifted to Xie Yu Zhi, so naturally that was not possible. Earning money was important, but his life was worth more than any amount of money. Chen Miao Ping shook his head slowly and acted as if he was a wise old man,

"That is not possible. I said it will be the day after tomorrow, so it will be the day after tomorrow. Those who are too impatient will never get what they want. Letting you wait a few days is for the heavens to test your sincerity."

There was no one who was as shrewd as a merchant than Chen Miao Ping. A very recent example of this was Zhang Yuan Qing. And now this little chubby boy can be added to his list. Not only receiving 6000 guan, the original material was also going to be sourced by the boy too. What a massive gain to his pockets.

Qian Tong did not hear any of the exchange between the boy and Chen Miao Ping, but he respected this newly appointed boss very much after that spectacle with Zhang Yuan Qing.

Chen Miao Ping wasn't too much of a stingy person and knew to bolster his work relationships. So after receiving an avenue of money into his pockets, he specifically invited his subordinates to go to Chun Xiao House after their shift for a meal and some alcohol while enjoying some pretty eye candy to foster a good relationship with them.

Yes, that Chun Xiao House.

Chen Miao Ping was still very curious what kind of vibe the "entertainment district" in the ancient eras had. He thought to himself that Xie Yu Zhi never heads out of the estate anyway, and he probably wouldn't be so bored as to have someone specifically spying on him.

Besides, he's just looking.

Just looking.

The capital has a curfew, after around 3am, where commoners were not allowed to walk on the streets, and if they were caught by the Imperial Guards, they would have to suffer through a flogging. But the entertainment district was an exception, so when the day slowly dimmed into night, the city truly came to life.

The women in these entertainment districts also have their own hierarchy. The south side was the lowest, considered more as strictly brothels, while the central and the north were the "higher" tiered establishments. Each and every one of the women in these two areas were knowledgeable in almost anything and everything, from guqin to drawing.

They all had a basic knowledge of the literary arts as well, even if they were not at the level of higher tiered scholars, as they required these skills to stand out, in order to earn money. And because they were so highly educated and skilled, they had the option to choose their clients, and only when you were picked could you even have a glance at them. This included high ranking officials and families with high status backgrounds.