27 - Hypocrite

April 2019

In all honesty, I am beyond shocked. I know I am not Luke's first love and I hardly care about that. If that were the case, I wouldn't be affected. I won't be standing like a fool amidst all the students around us. I won't be rendered speechless. And I won't be betrayed like this.

I didn't bother to look at Luke. No. I can't even bear to look at him. My lips trembled as I took a step away from him, from everyone. I don't even have time to worry about the embarrassment that I just got. My head was in turmoil and I felt like my mind was about to explode.

I managed to get away and set foot in the school's garden, gasping for air. I held my chest as I fell down on the grass.

Ate Lian was Luke's first love? When did they break up? And why? Does Luke know me through Ate Lian? Or was it a coincidence that we met at that cursed bar? And how did Bea know that?

I bit my lip at all these questions. I don't even know how to find answers to them. Until I heard the voice calling out for my name that would answer my questions. I stood up from the ground and waited for him to find me. 

I know he can - he always finds me.

"Celestine!" He shouted as he ran toward the place where I am standing. He immediately held my arms and stared into my eyes. "Please listen to me."

There it is, Celestine. "Okay."

I thought he will speak right away but he looked into my eyes first. "Liandra, y-your sister -"

"Is your first love. I heard that earlier, Luke."

He sighed and bit his lip. "But we've broken up before I met you. Lian mentioned her sister a lot of times but I never thought that it was you until that day... the day our families met. That was the only time I met her again, Celestine."

"Bea knew about her being your first love. How... how did that happen, Luke? Did she really meet you before I did?"

"Aris knew about Lian and Bea is close with Aris. That's the only theory I have because there is no way I've met Bea before you introduced her to me, Celestine," he said and slowly reached for my hand.

I let him hold my hand but I didn't return his hold. His answers clarified my questions but I don't know why I still feel betrayed. I don't know why I'm still feeling like something broke in me.

"Celestine..."

"I'm sorry... but I want to be alone, Luke," I said, almost whispering. "I heard you but my mind can't still wrap around the idea of it."

Luke slowly nodded. "I understand. Ask me anything, Celestine. I won't deprive you of the answers - I would gladly answer them. Just don't shut me out."

Tumango ako sa sinabi niya at pinatakan niya ako ng halik sa noo bago ako iniwan mag-isa tulad ng sabi ko. I walked towards the bench under the shade of tree and settled myself there.

I am being unfair to Luke. I am a hypocrite. I am being irrational because I am guilty. Lucas was Luke's brother and my first love. Our bonds to one another are funny and that makes it maddening.

The truth is, I was shocked to hear about Ate Lian. It was something I never expected nor imagined. It just doesn't make sense. But I realized now that it makes sense. It was actually possible because Ate Lian was in a relationship before she was asked to focus on our business. It was an agreement to delay Ate Lian's marriage.

But I happened.

And Ate Lian's waiting for the right time vanished. She wanted to marry Luke, that's why she was delaying her marriage because she wanted it when Luke graduates. She promised me that she will introduce her man to me once they are ready to marry one another.

Maybe I wasn't really mad at Luke. I am mad at myself for ruining my sister's happiness. She already pictured her future with Luke but I shattered it into pieces. Not only that, I even made her marry someone she doesn't even love to save face.

That one night ruined everyone's life.

What am I supposed to do now? What can I possibly do to make things right again? What should I do?

"Cian?" A voice pulled me out of my reverie. I saw Aris in front of me while holding an umbrella. "What the fuck are you doing? And where the fuck is Luke that he left you alone here, soaked in rain?"

It was... raining? That was when I realized why I feel cold and wet. I didn't even realize that it was raining because I was too busy with my thoughts.

"Can you stand up?" Aris asked and I tried standing up without a word but my knees and legs are already shivering so I ended up sitting again. I heard Aris curse before helping me walk. "Come, Celestine. You can do it, okay? I can't carry you because I still want to live so walk."

The bench was a bit far so we had a hard time walking. When we entered the hall, Aris sighed. I thought he would lash out at me again when he looked behind me. "Where have you been, fucker? Look at your wife, damn it."

Then I felt a warm cloth around my shoulders. I looked beside me and saw Luke. "I know you still don't want to see me but let me just take care of you, okay? You can hate me later," he said and carried me in a bridal style.

"Thanks, Aris," he said before leaving. "Fuck, you're shivering. Hold on, wife."

Luke deposited me in his car and the next thing I knew he was laying me down on the bed. I knew we are at our house because of the wedding picture that was hung on the wall. Luke kept on talking to me but my eyes were fixated on the picture.

We look like a happy couple. But I knew that wasn't my place - I stole it from my sister. She could have been the woman lying in this bed and smiling in that picture. She could have been the woman people calling as Luke's wife. And she could have been the woman that reached her dreams.

"You're crying..." Luke said as he wiped away the tears.

I closed my eyes. "I'm sorry. I really am sorry."