23 - Past

April 2021

His scent enveloped my senses. I could feel his face nearing mine when I spoke. "Are you ready to own your mistake, Luke? Being a cheater?"

His attempt to go nearer stopped but didn't bother to distance himself. Instead, he used his other hand to hold my waist. "The moment I saw you again, I knew I will be damned, Celestine. I told you didn't I? You have a stronger resolve than I have."

Is it really, Luke? Then why do I feel like I already crumbled down the moment I heard your voice? I was the one... who lost, Luke. But you don't have to know that. Because the more you do, the more you'll be motivated to become a sinner.

But like a moth to a flame... "Are you seducing me?" I glared at him even in dark to show my pretentious resolve. Because the truth is, I am drawn to his presence that nothing else matters to me now.

He chuckled in my ears. "This is hardly a seduction on my part but whatever you think this is... will do, Celestine." Then I felt his breathing fanning in my face, his lips near mine and I shivered. I closed my eyes as I kept my lips sealed shut but I cannot mask my ragged breathing.

But he stopped and moved away. 

Doon ko lang nagawang dumilat at tumingin sa kaniya sa kabila ng kadiliman na bumabalot sa aming dalawa. "Right, I won't let you become a third party, Celestine. I won't do that to you... so I'm telling you now... run away... as far as you could from me. Because the next time I lose control, nothing will matter anymore," he said and turned his back away from me.

The moment he was out of sight, napasandal ako sa kotse. Then my knees lost their strength to stand and I almost fell to the ground kung hindi lang ako nakahawak sa kotse. Like Luke said, I ran away from that place and hid in my condo unit.

My walk was fast-paced and the moment I reached my place, I tightly held on to the knob as tears fell from my eyes. My hands were shaking so bad as I let out the whimpers that I kept inside me. Sinandal ko ang ulo ko sa pinto at doon lang kumuha ng lakas para tumayo.

That... that was close.

I'm not sure if I should be glad that Luke stepped away because I was sure that I would give in the moment his lips touched mine. I am that weak when it comes to him. It was so wrong. This is a fucking sin. We are cheating behind Simoune and guilt is eating me alive. The words that came out of our mouths, the touch that we did voluntarily, and the thoughts that pertain to one of us... this is fucking cheating and I'm so disgusted by myself.

But I know this has to stop. I don't want to do this to Simoune. She doesn't deserve this kind of backstabbing. 

I slept that night with that resolve in my mind. The next morning, I prepared myself to survive this day. I wore a black outfit which consists of black long sleeves tucked inside my black slacks. I picked up my cream blazer and cream bag before going out of my condo.

When I arrived in my shop, my employees greeted me and my secretary handed me my coffee. Iniinom ko iyon habang tinitignan ang dress ni Simoune sa harap ko. I was informed last night that it is already done kaya tinitignan ko ngayon. Once I checked it, I'll call Simoune to have her fitting.

"What do you think of that bead? I think it is misplaced. That area is too crowded for my eyes," I said and pointed the bead to Summer.

Tumango sa akin si Summer and binulugan ang parte na iyon sa digital copy. Umikot pa ako at tinuro ang mga bagay na sa tingin ko ay dapat baguhin. Checking Sim's dress occupied my whole morning which I am thankful for.

It was lunch time when I finally had time to sit and do my other work. I was working on Aristotle's suit. Inuna ko pa kasi yung kay Luke dahil mas kailangan nila kumpara kay Aris na for hindi naman daw gagamitin sa kasal.

"Ma'am," Summer called and I answered while designing Aris' suit. "We have Sir Luke's suit ready for assessment. Would you like to see it now?"

I dropped my pen and nodded at her. Tumayo na din ako para salubungin iyon. Itinabi nila iyon sa dress ni Simoune kaya napangiti ako nang mapait. It's really... happening. But I quickly focused on my task.

I thoroughly checked Luke's suit and so far, wala naman ako nakitang mali o dapat baguhin. Probably because the design is less detailed than Simoune's. I nodded at the suit and gave my approval to Summer. Pero naalala ko ang susunod na mangyayari ay pinigilan ko siya sa paglabas.

"Let's have the fitting together with the bride, Summer. We'll notify the groom once the gown is finalized," I said.

"Noted, Ma'am. I'll take my leave for now then." Tumango ako sa kaniya at naiwan na nakatingin sa damit ni Luke. I traced my fingertips on the collar. I designed my ex-husband's suit for his wedding. What a fate we have.

"Ma'am, Miss Beatriz is here."

I averted my gaze from the suit and welcomed Bea with a smile. "Hey..."

"Is that their gown and suit?" Tumango ako sa tanong niya at ipinakita iyon. "It looks nice and expensive."

Natawa ako sa pangalawa niyang sinabi bago inaya siyang umupo sa couch sa gilid. "What made you come here anyway? And it's weekday."

Bea shifted uncomfortably in her seat with my question. "Well, Simoune actually asked to meet with me."

"Simoune?"

"Yes," Bea answered. "I asked the reason and it concerns you. I don't know where she got the idea or what she observed... but she's asking about you. That's why I'm here. I want to know what to tell her. Should I keep that part of your life concealed? Or say it?"

Napaiwas ako ng tingin at humarap sa mga damit nila. If Bea tells her about our past, what could Sim possibly do about it? It's just the past. Besides, the preparation is almost done. She won't... she won't back out. I could see her genuine fondness for Luke.

And if she ever backed out, what could I possibly offer to Luke to save their company? It's not a secret that their companies will be merged once the wedding is commenced. But I don't have anything to save him.  I cannot save their family like how Simoune can.

I looked back to Bea. She was waiting for my answer and I shook my head at her. "Don't."