20 - Conflict

April 2021

Probably it was the best thing I've learned in my existence - to admit defeat. Because even before, I never wanted to be defeated. I always wanted to win... win something or win someone over. It was always the case. But... years taught me that it is okay to admit defeat at times.

I fought to the best that I can.

This is the most important for me. I cannot win every battle I face every day. And it's alright as long as I know to myself that I did my best. Because that's life - you've got to experience all sorts of battles to actually say that you are living your life.

With that, I was able to focus on my work. I shouldn't dwell on it too much. Besides, the cry really made me feel better. I was able to let out some of my pent up emotions and was able to lessen the burden in my heart.

But Lucas, of course, got worried. Kahit na sinabi ko na sa kaniya na okay na ako. I think it's his brother instincts that has the control over him now. But I still pushed him to leave. I need to work. Time doesn't stop even when you are down.

"Ma'am, you have a call from Sir Lucas," my secretary said right after knocking and opening the door. "He said you weren't answering that's why he called the main line. And he said it was urgent."

"Got it, Summer. Thank you." Then I took out my phone, which I ignored for a few hours. Lucas really called multiple times and sent messages.

Did something happen? This is my question as I waited for Lucas to answer.

"What happened?"

Lucas sighed. "You need to attend the dinner with us, Cian."

"No." I know exactly what dinner he is pertaining to. Ito yung sinasabi ni Simoune kanina. And nababaliw na ba siya? Why would he invite me over when I literally just cried in front of him because of Luke?

"Please, Ciandra."

"No, Lucas. Bring your wife and don't drag me."

He grunted. I could feel his frustration from that reaction. "That's the whole problem, Cian! Your friend, Simoune, assumed something about us. I need you to clear that up for me, Cian."

"That's why bring your wife para matapos na."

"And what? She will be hurt if someone else was assumed as my wife. I don't want her hurt, Ciandra."

I closed my eyes and massaged my temples. Technically, it is my fault. I didn't correct Simoune even when I had the chance because my mind was too haywire the past few days. And I have forgotten the fact that Lucas is part of Luke's family.

"I won't stay for long," mabilis kong tugon bago pinatay ang tawag. I combed my hair in frustration. This is going to be a long and tremendous night for me. I can already taste the bitter feelings for later.

Just what have I gotten myself into?

Meeting Luke is one thing. But meeting his family, or my former in-laws is another.

Should I back out? No. This is for your sister-in-law, Celestine. I don't want her mad at my brother because of my mistake. Even when she is understanding... I don't want to abuse it.

I decided to wear a dandelion-colored halter dress. I already estimated the time for my travel because I don't want to look eager but I also don't want to be treated as special. When the time I was waiting for arrived, I bid my goodbyes to my employees and hit the road.

Lucas already sent me the location. Just how funny life is. It is the exact place where we also had dinner after their arrival in the country. Amazing. Pagkadating ko doon ay nagretouch lang ako matapos ay lumabas na din.

I could already hear their laughter from the side which made me halt my step. No, don't go there, Celestine. Don't compare your life to theirs. It's alright. You already made peace with the fact that other people could be happy while you are messed up and miserable. I shouldn't question how could they afford to be happy when I'm not because that's their life.

I clenched my fist and took a deep breath as made my way. Four heads turned my way upon my arrival. I plastered a sweet smile on my face as I walked toward the elders to give my greetings.

"Ciandra, ohmy, it's been so long," I merely nodded my head at her remark. I'm still not quite sure how I should address my former mother-in-law.

"Cian! You made it! Right, Mom. I forgot to mention but Cian is dating Kuya Lucas!"

Different reactions were given. Luke gaped and clenched his jaw afterward. Sim clapped her hands and cling to me. And Luke's parents look at each other, confused.

I slowly tugged away Sim's hold on me and smiled apologetically at her. "That's actually the reason why I came here, Simoune. We... aren't what you are thinking. I just wasn't able to correct you earlier because of the fast-paced events."

"But..."

"Yup, he was in my office because he was visiting me. You aren't hallucinating that time,  Sim. He was there because... he is my brother. Half brother," I said and she gasped. "I hope it's clear to you now because his wife will be with him tonight and I don't want any conflict."

I didn't bother explaining how he ended up as my half-brother. I don't think I should be the one telling her that story. It wasn't mine to tell.

I smiled at Sim and tapped her shoulders. My job's done. "I'll go ahead then," I said and turned to the elders.

"Why don't you stay for dinner, Cian? You traveled far and it will be rude of us not to let you eat or even sit," Luke's father offered but I know it's just courtesy. It's their family dinner. Why would he invite his ex-daughter-in-law to dinner for her future daughter-in-law?

I smiled politely at him. "I have prior appointment near the area that's why I came by. But thank you... for the offer." Matapos non ay umalis na ako sa harap nila at naglakad pabalik sa sasakyan.

I chose to park in darker spot para hindi makita nila Lucas. But I think my decision was wrong when I felt a hand gripped on my wrist, pinning me on my car's door. I could feel his body heat given our close proximity. His mint breath is fanning over my face.

I could barely see his face but my heart knows its owner.

Luke.