06 - Wife

February 2019

Something's up. Iyan agad pumasok sa isip ko pagpasok ko sa campus. They were all dolling up and kept on talking to each other. Bea is not here yet kaya wala akong makausap tungkol sa nangyayari.

But... It feels like it is male because it was only the girls who were very busy. "Cian, have you heard?"

"Heard what?" Tanong ko sa blockmate ko. I'm not close to her... but it will be rude if I show no interest at all. Besides, I'm also curious as to what is happening. Might as well hear her out.

"There's a transferee in the campus!" Tuwang-tuwang sabi niya at lumapit pa para bumulong sa akin. "And he is our classmate in this subject!"

Ahh... tumango ako sa kaniya at ngumiti. Iyon lang pala, kala ko naman kung ano na ang balita. I sighed and boredly waited for the professor while everybody else was excited. I don't see any reason why they should be excited though. It's just another... male transferee.

When the professor entered the room and started the lesson right away, I could see their defeated expression. How funny. They all dolled up and prepared just to be stood up by that transferee.

And Bea is oddly one of them.

"The class is about to end, hindi ba talaga siya papasok?" Bea asked and sighed. I could sense her frustration kahit hindi ko nakikita ang mukha niya.

"No," I responded in a singing tone just to mock her. I side-glanced her and she was pouting kaya hindi ko mapigilan ang tawa ko. It's so weird seeing her acting cute and all.

Then I heard her gasp at something while I was writing down my notes. I slowly raised my head to heed her attention but my eyes went to the person entering the room. It felt like light struck me and I was petrified.

Why... why is he here?

I heard the murmurs around me while I remained staring at him. He didn't change at all... he still had the same look as the last time I saw him. Still handsome and charming. Is he a new student? Kaya naman pala ganon ang paghahanda nila, they wanted to charm him.

Too bad for them.

Nakayuko siya habang kinakausap ng prof namin. I checked my watch and realized that it was only half an hour before dismissal. Bakit pa kasi siya pumasok? Hindi ba niya naisip na maba-bad shot lang siya sa professor?

When they both faced us, mabilis akon yumuko. God, please. I don't want to have any interaction with him.

"Listen up. We have a new student in this class. Introduce yourself, please," our professor said calmly. I can't help but be shocked at the way he spoke with so much caution because he was strict with us.

I heard squeals when he cleared his throat. Napailing na lang ako sa reaction nila. "Luke Augustus Guevarra."

"Ang ganda ng pangalan niya," bulong sa akin ni Bea. "What can you say about him?"

Inangat ko ang ulo ko sa pagsusulat at hinarap siya. I made sure my face shows complete disinterest and lack of enthusiasm. "He looks nice," maigsing sabi ko.

"Woah, I rarely hear you compliment someone," manghang sabi ni Bea sa akin.

I rolled my eyes at her. "I give a compliment when the person deserves the compliment."

"No, you don't..."

I tore my eyes off her and faced the front... which I shouldn't have done. Our eyes met and I saw how shocked he was. But in a split second, a wide grin plastered on his face. His stare at me gathered the attention of the people around us. It was the professor who managed to make him take his eyes off me.

"Have a seat, Mr. Guevarra."

When he stepped down from the platform, a lot offered his seat. I inwardly smirked because I sit in the corner and Bea is my seatmate kaya sigurado ako na hindi niya ako malalapitan. No, hindi dapat ako pumayag na malapitan niya.

He stopped in our row and settled by sitting beside Bea. And my friend introduced herself right away and even offered a handshake. "Hi," Bea said softly.

And the girl is on the move.

When the class ended, I stood up from my seat and gathered my things. Nang humarap ako mula sa pagkakayuko ay nakasandal sa wall si Luke. "You're pretty."

"Yeah, I get that a lot," sagot ko.

Luke chuckled kaya inirapan ko siya. Bea was just watching us on the side kaya mabilis ko siyang inaya. But when we were about to pass through Luke, he said something that made me stop... my movements and my breathing.

"Wife."

Bea surely didn't hear anything dahil nasa side ko si Luke at mahina lang ang pagkakasabi niya ng salitang iyon. Binitawan ko ang braso ni Bea kaya napaharap siya sa akin. I bit my lip and smiled afterwards.

"I forgot my notes in my car. I'll just go to the parking lot and see you at the cafeteria," sabi ko.

She glanced at Luke who was listening to our conversation before nodding. When she left my side, I glared at Luke before starting to walk away. He knows what to do.

The parking lot was practically empty when we got there. Kasunod ko si Luke na parehas huminto nang makarating kami sa sasakyan ko.

"What are you doing here?"

He shrugged. "You still look the same as Celestine two years ago. Long curly hair, doe eyes, and the ill-tempered look," he chuckled. "Nothing changed."

No, everything changed. But I didn't voice it out, hindi naman na mahalaga kung ano ang mga nagbago because in the end, we are still stuck to each other.

"You didn't answer me."

Luke breathed in before giving me his serious look. "You know I hate being serious but you are making me do this, Celestine," he sighed. "Look, you are the one who's at fault here why we met right now. You should have graduated two years ago but you deferred to rest! And now, we are here. What do you want me to do then?"

"So, it's my fault why we are meeting again," I said with disbelief. "Fine, it's my fault. Now, do me a favor, Augustus. I don't want anyone knowing about our relationship so please -"

"You want me to pretend that you don't exist at all?" He asked.

Tumango ako sa kaniya. "You don't like this situation either, right? If people know that you and I are married, that will be a turn-off for you. Don't you agree with me? A-And besides, I'm graduating in months..."

"What do you know about what I like, Celestine? We are practically strangers to one another so don't act as if you know me so well."