16 - Brother

March 2019

I sighed. "He's just a friend," I answered the nth person who asked about my relationship with Luke. It's only been an hour since we arrived. Yes, we went to school together because according to him, that will save us fuel.

But not being the center of gossip.

They were bombarding me with questions as to why I am with him, how did I become friends with him, and how he is when close. Those questions... I have to repeatedly answer them that he is my groupmate in a subject and I saw him along the way, the reason why I picked up him and went together to school.

It wasn't enough for them, though. They want every detail of our meeting, iniisip nila ay may something na kami dahil lang magkasabay kaming pumasok. Seriously with these people, ang dami nilang free time sa buhay.

They kept on intruding on someone else's privacy for their own benefit. Wala makichismis lang, just to fill their curiosity they are willing to get their nose into someone else's business. I can't blame them though because it was their hobby, I guess. I just hope they will know their limitations because not all the time, they would encounter a person who is willing to lengthen their patience with them.

And today's not the day.

Hindi ko matapos-tapos ang binabasa ko sa libro dahil palaging may dumadating para magtanong. I went in the library right after my first class to continue my review last night. I wasn't able to go all-nighter like my first plan because I felt bad making Luke wait.

He was just sitting on the couch, beside me, scrolling on his phone, pero kita ko ang pagbagsak ng mata niya kaya inaya ko din siya matulog. And for some reason, we slept in one bed.

I didn't question it like him. But it's probably he was too sleepy to even think about it. It didn't bother me as well, which I find weird. My conclusion about it is that my mind knew that I am sleeping in one bed with my husband... and we are married so I don't think it's wrong.

Or maybe it is.

I sat on my seat, beside Bea. Naramdaman ko naman na may tumabi sa akin and I smelled a familiar scent. I instantly knew it was Luke. "Hey," tawag nito sa akin sa mahinang boses.

Inangat ko ang ulo mula sa pagbabasa at tumingin sa kaniya. He looked at me and then notebook I was reading. And he raised a brow but I still don't get what he is trying to say kaya naman bumuntong hininga siya.

"Were you able to study well last night?"

I hesitantly nodded at him. I studied, alright. But not to the extent I was expecting. I know I could do a few more hours of review but then there's him in the equation. He only raised a brow at me bago hinarap ang bagong dating na professor namin.

She reminded us about the quiz she mentioned last meeting kaya naman sinimulan ko na din itago ang notes ko para maghanda. After a few instructions, the printed paper was given to me by the person in front.

"Good luck, Cian," he said and winked at me.

Tahimik ko na lang tinanggap ang papel at yumuko bago sumagot. I heard Luke snickered beside pero hindi ko na siya pinansin. I hardly noticed anyone while answering because I was too busy ransaking my mind.

When the professor rang the bell, I passed my paper to my classmate and sighed. Alam ko na agad kung saan ako mga mali. I feel off but I kept my stoic facade. I just want to leave the room before she announces the scores.

"Oh, this is new," napapikit agad ako nang marinig iyon mula sa professor namin. I found her eyes directly staring at me with a bit of confusion on her face.

What? Is it a mistake now not to be perfect? Does it mean that when I have perfect scores all the time, a mistake could ruin my record? Professors and their unexplainable expectations to their students.

"What's wrong?" Luke whispered beside me. He must have noticed my stare at our professor kaya naman nilingon ko siya para umiling. After that ay tulala lang ako hanggang matapos ang klase.

I was fixing my things when Bea abruptly hit my shoulder as she was passing through. I was expecting an explanation but she didn't. That was rude. But Bea has always been hot-headed when she is hungry.

Napatigil ako sa pagtingin kay Bea nang maramdaman kong may humawak sa braso ko. Luke was checking my arms... and he looked awfully worried. Really, what's wrong with this guy?

"Luke, hindi ka ba papasok?" I looked at Aristotle when he went in front of me to talk to Luke. Sunod kong tinignan ay si Luke na nakatingin sa akin.

"Why are you looking at me?"

Luke didn't break our eye contact as he asked. "Can you," he paused and bit his lip for a second before continuing. "Wait for me after my class? I didn't bring my car..."

Kumunot ang noo ko sa kaniya. I don't know what to say. Before I could make a decision, nakita ko na lang na binatukan siya ni Aris. "Don't be such a baby, Luke. Let Cian rest, moron. It's weekend tomorrow," Aristotle said and looked at me to give me a nod.

"Ako na bahala dito," he told me and looked at Luke. "And yes, motherfucker. I'll drive you home myself, kawawa ka naman."

Natawa ako sa sinabi ni Aris bago kinuha ang bag at humarap sa kanilang dalawa. "I'll go ahead, take care you two."

Dire-diretso ang lakad ko sa parking kaya nagulat na lang ako nang makita si Lucas na nakatayo malapit sa sasakyan ko. I looked around the vicinity, thinking that he was waiting for someone else pero nakayuko lang siya.

I slowly made my way to approach him. "What are you doing here?" I asked and he raised his head right away.

"Celestine."

"Lucas."

Huminga siya nang malalim bago ngumiti sa akin. Something is bothering him, that's for sure. I could see in his eyes that he want to tell me something but he couldn't. I don't understand, what is there to talk about?

"I... uhhh... hoping we could talk because we weren't able to last night," Lucas said.

I smiled politely at him. "No, Lucas. I'm sorry but I have to go... and I don't want to disrespect Luke. No, I don't want him mad, Lucas, and talking to you privately will make him mad."

"Is that so?" Lucas asked. He looked pained and assured at the same. I didn't know it was possible to see those two emotions at the same time. The wind blew as the silence enveloped us. Lucas then nodded while looking at me... and I felt like he was trying to convey something I could not grasp. But his gaze eventually softened before speaking again.

"You really... love my brother, huh."