07 - Time

February 2019

Luke left me alone in the parking lot. He was right... I don't know anything about him aside from... he is Lucian's father. I tried to think about any particular thing about him but I got nothing.

Napasandal ako sa kotse ko dahil doon. Why did I say that? I've never liked interfering with other's business. Why did I assume that I know his likes? I met him as a flirt... it all started there kaya naisip ko na iniiwasan niya na ma-issue siya.

Maybe I am being hypocritical because I was the one who doesn't want to be involved in an issue. Because being talked about... means they get to dig into your past and I don't want Lucian to be looked at as a result of a mistake.

I don't mind being talked about but I don't want Lucian to be involved. He was already unfortunate to have me as his mom. I don't want his childhood to start as a nightmare. Because as much as possible... as much as I could... I want to give him everything that I was deprived of - happiness.

I desired happiness so badly that I found it in crowded places and with loud music. But in that place, I found Luke. And my happiness was once taken away from me... and still taken away for years now.

Did he really change the years he was gone? He sounded so different when he talked to me. It was the second time that he talked to me seriously. It made me wonder what happened to him during the years I was busy with Lucian.

Luke has always been a mystery to me since day one. He agreed to marry me without any predicament, he just said yes. There wasn't any life-threatening situation then but he still gave such an answer.

I will lie if I say that I was expecting that as his answer because I never did. People involved in one-night stands usually ran away from complications like commitment. I was hoping that he would reject the idea and protest violently.

But he never did.

"What were you thinking?" I was brought back to reality when Simoune asked. Siya ang kasama ko sa table dahil bumili ng pagkain sila Bea at Sam.

I smiled at her and shook my head. I didn't even notice I was spacing out. And Simoune, being the daydreamer that she is, squinted her eyes on me. "Don't tell me..."

"What?"

"You have your eyes set on someone and you were thinking of him!" Simoune said, pointing at me with her judging eyes.

I laughed at her antics. I bet she won't shut up about it and tell the rest about her senseless assumption.

"I was thinking of my parents," sabi ko sa kaniya. It was a lie but I have to feed her curiosity para magtigil siya. "We will be having dinner so I was thinking of what to bring and wear. Happy now?"

She pouted and rolled her eyes at me, refusing to believe my claim. Hinayaan ko na lang siya. I don't want to feed her more lies anyway. When Bea and Sam arrived, we started eating.

Sam was ranting about her boring class while Simoune was busy staring at me when suddenly clapped her hand and gasped, making Sam stop talking and Bea focused on her. "Right! The transferee was in your class! How was he? Hmm?"

I glanced at Bea and she instantly smiled. "He was so dreamy! God, I've never seen someone as handsome as him!"

"Really?" Sam's eyes glimmered with curiosity.

Bea nodded at them. "His name is Luke," simula niya na tinanguan naman ng dalawa. Then she pointed at me. "And he is interested in Cian," she dryly said.

"It's expected," Sam commented.

"No, he's not," I said.

"Yes, he is! Everyone noticed his stare at you, Cian. I know you felt it too," Bea said.

Simoune leaned in and gave me her suspicious look. "But really, Cian. Aren't you interested in him? Even a bit? You used to be interested in his types."

Right. Kaya nga napunta ako sa sitwasyon na ito eh. Because I got interested in his looks.

I mimicked Simoune's position and smiled at her. "No," I said and leaned back in my chair. "I'm too busy with graduating stuff, the reason why I have no time for that. I don't want to stay for another semester."

"Then..." I looked at Bea when she trailed off. "I am interested in him, Cian. And it seems like he has his eyes on you, can you help me with him?"

I tried to keep a smile on my face but it disappeared when she asked me to help her. I looked around our table and they were all expecting an answer from me.

"Why me?" Tanong ko sa kaniya, confusion is evident in my voice.

"Because you seem close to each other and he might try his luck on you."

I chuckled. "Because of his look on me? You suddenly have that idea about me?"

Bea nodded. I wanted to roll my eyes at her. I thought she was smart? I've known her for years and she never showed an interest in someone. Not even once. And her eyes right now are full of hope. Is she serious? She wanted to use me as bait to Luke since he is interested in me? I mean what kind of friend does that?

"He is that man, isn't he?" Sam suddenly interjected, making me look at her. "I thought I was wrong but hearing your desperation right now... he was the man you were looking at years ago, right?"

What? Binalik ko ang tingin ko kay Bea para malaman kung tama ba ang sinasabi ni Sam. She didn't say anything but she looked away... giving her response indirectly. What an awful fate we have, huh.

"I don't want to play any part in your love story, Bea," diretso kong sabi sa kaniya. Nanlaki ang mata niya sa akin but I know she was expecting this kind of answer from me because I've never really put my nose into someone else's business.

I already have a complicated and messy life. Wala na akong oras umintindi pa ng iba. And it's not like it would do me something good kapag nakialam ako sa buhay nila.

Bea smiled and nodded. "You are still the same Ciandra after all," she let out a sigh. "Don't worry, I'll find a way on my own to charm him. I... just don't want to lose him for the second time."

But you never had him. He was mine from that night and until this moment. There was never a time when he was yours, Bea. But it doesn't mean I'll stop you because who knows? You might be the woman who will replace me by the time our intertwined fate was cut off.

Because I knew from the start that what we have now... will end in time.