31 - Please

April 2019

"Time is currently three in the afternoon," the announcer said. I was waiting for Luke in the sea of people right now because he volunteered to get our luggage. Hindi naman daw marami kaya siya na lang. I conceded and let him be.

I stared at the scenery outside and smiled. The sun is up and shining brightly. Probably because it's the afternoon heat. The wind contradicts the heat, though. It was cold and comforting. Just perfect.

"Hey," I said when Luke came into my view. He was holding my traveling bag and his backpack on his back, obviously. He handed me my hand-carry bag before grabbing my hand. I raised a brow at him but he only smiled and tightened his hold on me.

"Where do you want to go? No, where's the hotel so we could deposit our bags?" He asked while looking around.

I tugged his hand which made him look at me. "I'm hungry. Let's eat first?"

"Sure. Is it okay if bring our bags though?" We were walking towards the exit when he asked that. I nodded at him. Then we exited the gate and hailed a cab. I told the driver the place and he drove away. "You researched?"

"Yes. I wanted to taste their delicacy that's why I made sure to do my assignment of researching." Tumawa siya sa sinabi ko at yumuko para halikan ang noo ko. I looked at him weirdly.

He's been awfully... intimate today. It makes me wonder about the thoughts running in his mind right now. Can he feel what I'm about to do? No, can he tell? Now, I'm bothered. I want to make this day memorable as possible. I don't want him to remember this as the cursed day. Even though... he will be cursing me later.

I removed unnecessary thoughts and focused on the food when it was served. Luke complimented that it tastes good which made me happy. I love good food. I mean who doesn't? We ended up ordering a few more to our heart's content. And when the dessert is served, we looked at each other and chuckled. "I'm full but I don't want to waste food. So, shall we?"

"That's hella early dinner. Where do we go next? Hmmm?" Luke asked as we wait for our bill.

"There's a vast yellow plant which looks beautiful when it's sundown. We could stay there and watch the sunset before going to the hotel. What do you think?"

He nodded and immediately grabbed the bill when it arrived. He even smirked at me for being fast. Annoying Luke. The guts to spend lavishly when you are struggling. I really don't know why he so nonchalant about it. Like he doesn't care at all. It was their family business going down because of us! Our family is their biggest investor. But when Dad left... we couldn't handle the company's finances anymore. It was on the verge of downfall.

Luke followed my suggestion and instructed the taxi driver we hailed the directions. When we arrived, it was breathtaking. There were other couples as well but the place is enormous, making it impossible to be crowded. I chose the one in the center to see the sunset clearly. Luke sat beside me and watched the scenery in peace.

I have no words to describe its beauty. If there is one word that could suit, it would ethereal. But to see it up close, I know that word is not enough. And as the darkness slowly closes in, I stood up from the grass. I looked at Luke but he was still on the grass, looking at the darkness in front of him.

"Luke."

"Is this the time you'll say your goodbye?" He muttered and looked up at me. When I didn't answer, he stood up and faced me. His eyes pierced my being and I could see the depth of hatred in them. 

He knew what I was about to do. 

He knew and waited. 

"No, I don't want to believe it because you are one hard-headed woman, Celestine. You won't easily back down. But..."

He sighed. "You are doing this because you are in pain, right? And I understand that. I do, completely! That's why I wanted to be with you. I wanted you to know that you could lean on me. But why can't you lean on me at times like this? Is pushing me away the best decision you could do? Is that how much I mean to you?"

"Why should I? Huh? Why would lean on you?" My eyes stared at him. I practiced a hundred times already and I mastered how to make my voice firm and steady.

"Because we are married!" He exclaimed. "Isn't that what married couples do, Celestine? We made a vow, remember? In good times and bad. I won't leave you, Celestine. I will stand by your side."

"In good times and bad. Right. That is what marriage is supposed to be..." I trailed off and locked my eyes with his.

"But we aren't one."

"W-What?"

I took a deep breath before speaking. "We aren't married, Luke."

His brows furrowed as he looked at me. There was bewilderment in his eyes but confusion tops it. "What are you talking about? We had a wedding. We said our vows. And we signed the marriage contract!"

"But it wasn't filed to the registry," I retorted. "We aren't married, Luke," I repeated like a robot. "We... we are just two strangers living together under one roof." I breathed in before continuing. "Honestly. I don't even know the right word to say to end our ties. We aren't even in a relationship so breaking up is not an option. And we -"

"Stop!"

"- aren't married to say divorce. Let's just... end it. Whatever intertwined fate we had, Luke."

He gaped at me. The look in his eyes shouts betrayal. "Are you for real, Celestine? Just like that? You... you won't even give me a chance to say my opinion? That's it?"

"This is me, Luke." And this is me loving you in the hardest and most cruel way.

"At least tell me why! Don't you think I deserve to know why? You... you even brought me here to break me apart. You planned this from the beginning while I followed you like a damn puppy. The least you could do is to tell me why."

I thought I would be fazed by the tone of his voice. He never raised his voice at me. This is the first. But the look on his face was enough to break me apart once again. "There's no reason behind it. I... I won't apologize for doing this nor I won't ask you to forgive me. I won't say that I fell out of love. I won't say that I want to find myself. I won't say that I found someone else. Because I would be lying if I did. It's just... I want to end it."

He closed his eyes. "You are so cruel. Why... why are you doing this to me?"

Luke cried. I had to swallow the lump in my throat as I witness the tears falling from his eyes. My lips quivered and my breathing ragged. I can't do this anymore. With that, I slowly took a step back from him but before I could further our distance, he knelt down.

"Don't, Celestine."

Please, Luke.