32 - Love

April 2021

"Please, Luke! Wake up, please..." my movement was halted when I saw the scene in front of me. I could feel the trembling of my hand. I've seen this scene before and I never liked what comes after this.

There's a voice in my head saying that I should leave because I knew what's coming next and I definitely don't want that. No, I won't be able to handle it.

But the thought of this moment is the last... I knew I had to move and I did - even when I had to drag my feet.

I don't want to make another regret in my life. I knew it was wrong to realize it in my situation but I've had enough. Every second that passes while we are on the road, terrifies me that I won't make it... that I won't be able to see Luke again. It scared me to think that... that was our last encounter. And I don't want that to happen.

That's why I slowly made my way toward Simoune. Luke was in bed and Sim was beside him, crying and begging him. I don't even know why they are in the ward, not in a private room. Indeed, they could afford that.

"S-Sim..." I called and she immediately looked for the person calling her name. When she saw me, her face brightened. Mabilis siyang lumapit sa akin at yumakap. I could feel her trying to suppress her cries.

But she's failing miserably. Not everyone can be good at controlling their emotions. I tapped Sim's shoulder to calm her down. "He's going to be fine, Simoune. And he won't like it if you are being so weak-minded. Hmm?" Yeah, say that to yourself, Celestine.

"I-I know. It's just so hard because we were just together then he suddenly stood up to make a call," Simoune said, wiping her tears. "When he returned, he said something urgent happened and he needed to leave. Then this... I don't know what to do, Cian."

Luke made a call... was it me? When he call me earlier? Is that what Sim is pertaining to? I looked at Luke and my heart broke upon seeing his condition. His left hand was in a cast and there was dextrose connected to his other hand. Did I really cause you this, Luke?

After Simoune calmed down, I insisted to keep her company. She's thankful. And I was guilty. Because I knew I wasn't mainly doing it for her, it was also for my sake. Because I wanted to make sure Luke is okay.

"Why is he here in the ward, anyway?" I asked Simoune.

She looked a bit out of it made me realize I should have remained quiet. "I... didn't know. It was Levi who brought me."

Levi? As in the Leviticus that I know? How is she affiliated with him? No. I must be crazy. Sim is fond of Luke! They are just friends! I am just being judgmental and - my eyes widened when I saw Luke's finger move.

"He's awake... Luke's awake, Sim! I saw his finger move!"

Sim stood up and looked at Luke closer. But when she didn't see his eyes opening, she hurriedly ran to get a doctor. I was left alone with Luke who was now slowly opening his eyes.

Then he grunted before landing his eyes on me. He was just staring at me with no emotion. I don't know what is going on in his mind or if he even recognizes me. It was an empty stare, something I never expected to see from Luke.

Then he spoke in a low voice.

"You're here..." he said, sounding relieved.

Confused at the tone of his voice, I still nodded. "I'm here."

"Were you worried?" He asked and added, "About me?"

My brows furrowed. Why would he ask me... "Did you do that to make me worry?"