02 - Best

February 2021

Intertwined fate, huh. I guess because look at us now - hands connected, eyes gazing at one another, paths crossed with each other, and hearts both shattered because of each other.

"Well, shall we sit?" It was Samantha who broke the silence and motioned to us the seats. Binitawan ko ang kamy ni Luke at bumalik sa upuan ko.

But because I chose to sit in front of Sam, the couple had to sit facing one another. Simoune sat beside Sam and... yes, Luke adamantly sat beside me.

"Have you ordered?" Umiling ako sa tanong ni Simoune dahil kakarating ko lang din. "Why don't we eat first? Before discussing things, what do you say, Cian?"

I smiled at her and nodded. "Whatever you want, Madame. You are my client now," I said in a business-like tone kaya natawa sila ni Sam. I was just trying to lighten the atmosphere around us but it seems like it didn't work with Luke.

"Who would have thought that an Accountancy graduate like you would leave behind her journals and ledgers and pursue fashion designing instead?" It was Simoune who commented that but I wasn't able to come up with an answer.

It was Papa who wanted me to take that course... I've come to a point wherein I liked it but I also know it wasn't what I wanted. I realized it late but I've got Luke to thank for that. He made me open my eyes to what I like and helped me to do something about it.

I cleared my throat and took the menu to start ordering. Hindi na rin naman napansin ni Simoune ang hindi ko pagsagot dahil busy siya sa pagpili ng pagkain. I felt Luke's eyes on me kaya napahigpit ang hawak ko sa menu.

"Since it's almost lunch, babe, you want a rice meal?" Napahinto ako sa pagbasa nang marinig iyon. Babe, what a sweet endearment. I didn't wait for Luke's response and I just raised my hand for the waiter.

I smiled at the waiter and enumerated my order. "I want scallop pasta and juice, please."

"What juice do you want, Ma'am?"

"Ap- no, just water, please. Thank you," I said and closed the menu book I have in my hand. As they give their orders, bumalik sa isip ko ang muntik ko na sabihin kanina. Thank God, I was able to stop myself.

Apple was our favorite drink, was and our. Siya ang naging dahilan bakit ko naging paborito iyon. I rarely drink juice but because of him... palagi na lang siya. I've never thought being with him for a few minutes would be this difficult.

I was so confident with myself a few days ago that I don't have any feelings for him anymore but look at me now... drowning again. I excused myself without waiting for their response and went straight to the comfort room.

Please do your job and comfort me. My hands were shaking as I held on to the sink. I stared at the mirror and begged myself... pleaded myself to keep it together. But I've been pretending for so long...

That making him leave wasn't hard... that watching him turning his back on me didn't kill me... that letting go of his hand was the best decision I've ever made in my life when in fact, it is something I'll regret for the rest of my life.

As soon as I composed myself, I brushed my long brown wavy hair. I even wiped away the traces of my tears and retouched my makeup. Then I went out of the comfort room, only to see Luke leaning on the wall.

I stopped moving and stared at him. His eyes were closed but they opened as if he sensed that he was being stared at. That granite eyes. "Are you okay?" Mahinahon na tanong nito sa akin.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

His eyes bore into mine for a second before it looked down. Umiling siya bago umayos nang tayo. "The girls were worried kaya pinuntahan na kita."

The girls? And what? He presented to fetch from the women's comfort room?

"I'm fine, if that was the answer you were waiting for," sabi ko at lumakad na papalabas pero hinarang niya ako. He was still taller than me, despite my heels, kaya kailangan ko pang i-angat ang ulo ko para tignan siya.

"You're not okay."

I raised a brow at him. "And why the hell would you conclude something like that?"

"Celestine," tawag niya sa akin. I stilled and bit my lip... he still have that effect on me. Umiling ako sa kaniya at tinulak siya para makaalis doon. I returned to my seat and true enough, the girls asked me what took me long.

"Retouch," iyon lang ang sinabi ko. Hindi nagtagal ay dumating na din ang pagkain kaya naging busy kami doon.

Samantha happily ate her food, she was even complimenting it. The same goes for Simoune. Ako lang ata ang hindi makakain nang maayos. I didn't bother checking on Luke. I shouldn't.

"Cian," tawag sa akin ni Sam kaya inangat ko ang ulo ko. "You don't like your food?"

Ngumiti ako sa kaniya at umiling. "No... it's just... it's too early for me, hindi ako sanay." It was partly true because I was used to eating my lunch around afternoon kaya ngayong maaga ay naninibago ako. And the lie is... I just can't stomach anything right now, wala akong gana.

Buti na lang at mabilis natapos ang lunch namin. They immediately proceeded to what we were suppose to do. Nilabas ni Simoune ang phone niya at ipinakita sa akin ang isang picture na gusto niyang paggayahan ko ng gown niya.

It looked nice... she will be a human fairy. I had the picture transferred to my phone and asked her about the details that she wanted to change. Overall, her idea is simple and elegant. Samantha gave her several suggestions pero sa akin din ipinasa ni Simoune.

"You are the designer, you decide which will make my gown look amazing," Simoune said.

Tumango ako dahil tama naman siya. I should respect my client's opinion but I should also give out my own. I pointed to the mini crystals and looked at Simoune. "These will look great on the skirt of your gown..."

Nang matapos ang usapan kay Simoune ay tuwang-tuwa ito. "How about you, babe? Or you have certain designer in your mind?" Napilitan akong tumingin kay Luke nang tanungin siya nito.

He leaned his side to the side and looked at me before smiling at Simoune. Lahat kami ay naghihintay sa sagot niya pero umaasa ako sa isang sagot na pakiramdam ko ay hindi niya maibibigay sa akin.

"No, I don't have someone in my mind. And we have Cian here... she's the best designer I know... and I only want the best."

Best... of course, Ciandra Celestine is the best because there is no other option but to become one.