45 - Luke

May 2021

I sighed before dropping my phone on my lap. I just finished talking to Celestine and subtly confessing to her. It was a bastard move to tell her that on phone but it was too late to take back my words. I don't want to take them back.

But she just... makes me overwhelmed that I blurted them out without considering her opinion about getting back together for real. Even when things sort of cleared up between us right now, I still want to make it official — in public and between us.

"You didn't tell her?" I looked at Lucas when he spoke. He probably noticed that I ended my call with Celestine.

Umiling ako sa kaniya. It was a surprise anyway. Hindi ko lang sinabi na dito na lang magce-celebrate sila Mama ng Anniversary nila. They are exhausted from overseas travel anyway.

I didn't object to their plan because I will benefit from it. And Lucas knew that. Wala naman siyang magagawa dahil mas gusto nila Mama na dito na lang sa bansa.

We passed by a wedding car parked by the road and memories started to fill my mind.

I was silent as I fix my coat for the wedding ceremony. My parents are behind me watching me get ready. They were careful with their treatment of me because they knew I am a walking bomb. The moment I saw myself in the mirror, I see nothing but hopelessness.

My jaw clenched as I keep away myself from those thoughts. Wala naman iyon matutulong sa akin. It will only make me more miserable than I already am. Discarding those thoughts, I proceeded to the hall without saying anything. I didn't mean to be rude and disrespectful but I just can't find anything to say — to appease my emotions.

At the entrance, I greeted mostly our investors and relatives of my bride. They praised how good-looking I am and I awarded them with my famous smile. I am getting better at concealing my emotions, huh. Good job, Luke.

Then I saw Lucas with his wife. I could see the worry in his eyes. Right, he knew the feeling because he was in my shoes. The only difference is that his marriage resulted in a successful one. Mine... probably will not be. How could I be when my heart belongs to someone else already? And the owner is standing behind Lucas.

Fuck me.

My heart constricted at the sight of her. Fuck me, again. How could this heart still beat fast when it was stomped and shattered by this woman several times already? It probably sensed its owner and magically healed on its own. How stupid.

Our eyes met and I saw the shifting of emotions in her eyes — from being lost to sad to determined. Then she averted her gaze away from me. Ouch. Come on, I am the groom, you should be looking at me, not the other way!

I couldn't take my eyes off her. Her beauty is beguiling to look at. I can't even look away from her beauty. It was like you are ought to be drowned by her.

"Luke," then I was pulled back to reality. Mabilis akong tumingin sa tumatawag sa akin. I subtly took a deep breath. It was my Mother and she looked at me with concern. I pulled myself together and faced her properly. I know what she saw.

"What is it?" I asked.

Instead of answering me, she looked at me with her soft eyes and caressed my face gently. "Nothing, you were spacing out that's why I called your attention," she smiled. "Do you want to rest for a while? The ceremony will start in a few." And hide me from Celestine? No. She should look at me and realize what she had lost.

Umiling ako sa kaniya. "I'm fine, Mom." Hindi na ako nag-abala pang magdugtong doon. I don't want my lies to pile up like a shit.

When we were led inside the hall, I stood in front of the guests with my parents in front of me and Simoune's parents on the side. The wedding was supposed to be held in a church but it was only yesterday when they changed the venue and resorted to a hotel hall instead. I don't know how they managed to pull off something like that but they did.