25 - First

April 2019

Or not - no, it's not a good day for real. I don't know what happened that one beautiful day would turn into one ruined day. Maybe fate sensed my good mood and decided to ruin it. Or maybe I hoped too much. I should have expected this and not made a fool out of myself that today will be a good day. Because fate will always be there to ruin it.

"Cian," bati ni Bea sa akin. Siya kasi ang sumalubong sa akin pagpasok sa school. She has that bitch resting look again. Although it's her usual expression, I feel like it's different now.

I tried smiling at her. "Hey, what's up?" I asked because it seems like she was waiting for me since we have class together.

She was about to speak when her gaze transferred behind me. I instantly knew what she saw or who entered the building that caught her attention. Bea is a genius, she probably has a hunch right now in her head.

I was right when her facial expression changed from being calm to pissed. Her gaze suddenly directed to me. I was taken aback by her stare - or glare. It's more of the latter, actually.

"Are you two together?" She asked, staring at me.

I was stunned by her question. Hindi agad ako makapagisip ng sagot sa kaniya because I honestly don't know how to label my relationship with Luke. Yes, we are married but we are in the process of getting to know each other.

But with her gaze right now... I suddenly want to deny whatever we have. I don't want her hurt. I feel bad because I know she likes Luke and I even thought of her being a better choice. But that was before I spent time with Luke - before I actually got to know him. And now... I'm not quite sure anymore if she is still a better choice for Luke.

Because I'd rather have myself as the better choice.

When I still wasn't able to come up with a response, she chuckled. "Why can't you answer me? Guilty? Why? Because you are a snake?"

"Beatriz," I called but she shook her head and took a step back from me.

"No, you knew. I told you that I am interested in him. And then what? You'll make out with him inside the car? Like a cheap whore?" I flinched at her words. "You know what? I actually thought you are the most decent in our group - turns out I was wrong."

I bit my lip before making a step. "Beatriz..."

"What, Ciandra Celestine?"

I tried my best to come up with anything but there's nothing I can say to defend myself. Her words are true, I made out with Luke in the car. And even when her words about me stung, I can't say anything to rectify it.

Not until I felt a hand gripping my arms, a subtle move to place me behind his back. I knew he was there and I knew that he waited for me to defend myself and our... relationship.

"You can't call someone a cheap whore when they are two people involved, Beatriz. I initiated it so why do you also call me names?"

I can't see Luke's expression but I bet that it was hard and cold. I could only assume from Bea's reaction was a mix of humiliation and anger painted on her face. I used my other hand to hold on Luke's arm to get his attention.

But he didn't heed me any. His eyes remained on Bea as if he was testing her. "What, Beatriz? I'm a whore, there. Happy now?"

"Happy? How could you ask me that, Luke? How could I actually be happy when the man I like is taken away from me? Can't you see? She stole you from me! I was the one who found you first! I was the one who showed interest first! And she... she just entered the scene, Luke!"

Luke chuckled. And I don't like his chuckle at all. It was devious and sarcastic. I could already hear the sarcasm in his voice because Luke can be rude when he wanted to be. He is not a saint after all.

"Did she really take me away from you, Beatriz?"

"Honestly, yes!"

"How could she..." he paused and gave me a glance. "When I wasn't even yours, to begin with."

I gasped. It never occurred to me that Luke would be this... harsh. Even I am hurt by his words! That was the time I decided to step in to stop his madness. "Luke," I sternly called.

"What?" He asked and I glared at him because of the tone he used. He closed his eyes briefly and sighed before opening them again. "Please don't tell me to apologize because I won't, Celestine. She hurt you."

"But it doesn't mean you have the right to her too, Luke. I was the one she hurt, not you. So apologize. A man doesn't say rude words to a woman, don't you know that?"

Luke chuckled and looked at me for a second before transferring his gaze to Bea who was watching us the whole time. "I'm... on second thought, I almost forgot. As Cian said, it's true. But don't you agree with me that a husband should also protect his wife?"

His... what? Nanlaki ang mata ko nang ma-realize ang sinabi niya. I heard the gasps from the students around us. Then he slowly encircled his arms on my waist, shocking them more. I looked at Bea and her eyes were no longer hurt. It was a shock. But I would be if I was in her place.

"B-but... how could that be?" Bea asked softly yet we heard.

I tried to go to her but Luke tighten his hold on me, keeping me in my place. "You didn't meet me first, Beatriz. And it wasn't you who showed interest in me first," he said.

"It was Celestine, my wife."

And... the cat's out of the bag. I was immobile, mainly because Luke held me in place. I felt like the surrounding around us kept getting small. All I hear were gasps and murmurs. But only one trembling voice stood up the most.

"How could that happen when... it was her sister you are in love with?"