44 - Battle

May 2021

Just that... and different emotions swirled down in me. 

I feel ecstatic to think that I will be Guevarra again. This time, it felt right. I was used to using his surname back then, and hearing that I would be using it again got me excited. I also feel nervous at the thought of it. I don't think this feeling will ever fade. It will always be there — the fear of what will happen next. But I've come to understand that I don't have any control over what awaits me. I have to accept what life throws at me.

And I feel like doubting myself. It was only a minor emotion but I can't ignore it. Luke has been honest with me. He laid down all his cards. I know it's my turn to love him right. But that's what scares me. I loved him back then and still loved him today. I was just afraid that this love might make me run away from him again.

I don't want that to happen. Not again. I was scared to give this emotion power over me so I stood up and went to the door that I found on the side. I haven't seen this yet but it doesn't look like a bathroom. I turned the knob and saw an empty veranda. It was empty, a completely deserted place. If it wasn't connected to a room, I might think that this is an abandoned place.

There was nothing on here. Oh, there is. I walked straight and held the rails. The moon is shining brightly. The glow makes the night sky more wonderful. Is this the purpose of the veranda? Because it was like a place for escape.

Is it, Luke?

I inhaled and relaxed while feeling the night air. I have never felt this peace before. I feel like I am being cradled to sleep. Is that even possible? My heart is at peace and so is my mind. This feels nice.

"You talked to Luke." I opened my eyes upon hearing the voice and looked beside me. I saw Aris standing on his own veranda with his hands behind him and his gaze on the nightscapes. When he noticed my stare, he glanced at me which made me avert my eyes from him.

I nodded. "I did."

"Your face says it all. Are you two back together?" He asked.

"We haven't discussed that part yet, Aris. But if I will be asked, you probably already know my answer."

This time, I glanced at him but his eyes were no longer on me. It was back to the nightscapes. "Of course, it always be Luke. Even right now, you seem at peace after a simple call from him. He has that kind of magic that only works for you."

"I guess you're right..." I chuckled. "He is that kind of person to me, Aris. Someone that could easily pacify the storm in me. Someone that could understand me even if I don't understand myself. Someone that sees what I hide from everyone. He makes me feel visible... heard. He makes me feel different emotions at once."

"Now, how could I compete with that?" Aris asked.

"What?"

He chuckled and brought his eyes to me. "I guess, you really can't see me at all, Cian."

"A-Aris..."

He averted his eyes from me. "I thought it was guilt at first. I discarded it, thinking I was wrong. But I was just fooling myself because it was actually the guilt of liking my best friend's woman," he said. "I thought to myself that, there's nothing wrong with it. You are single and I am too. I justified the guilt with that."

"But..." He sighed. "But that kind of delusion only worked for a short time. I thought I already made peace with that and ignored it. But I can't. Your eyes always follow Luke... your actions that are similar to Luke's... your thoughts always end up about him. You made it difficult for me to compete with that."

My fist clenched. "You knew it was Luke since the beginning, right? I don't think I ever mislead you, Aris."

"You never did, Cian. How could you when your eyes don't even look at me?"

"Aris..."

"I thought of competing with Luke. Even I knew I had no chance at all. I still want to try. I am a persistent kind of person. But... the battle hasn't even started yet the winner's already claiming the prize."

"Please don't do anything, Aris," I said. "It's not about the past, the mistake we did to Luke. It was about my relationship with him. I love him, Aris. And I don't want you feeling something for me because I know I can't do anything about it."

Aris sighed. "I know. He deserves you. He deserves to be happy after the misfortune he got because of us. I won't be giving up on you if it wasn't Luke. But if it is my best friend, then I'll happily wave the white flag. Because that man... he is willing to live the life he shouldn't have. He was willing to throw away the life he deserves for you. And I can't do that. It was the main reason why I chose to run away from you. But Luke didn't."

"He didn't..." I repeated. "Thank you, Aris. But let's stop feeling sorry for each other. I don't want you to live in guilt. Lucian wouldn't like it."

Aris went back to his original position. "I've always wondered if he is mad at me."

"If he is, then I will accept all his anger and disappointment in me."

He nodded. "I would too." Then he glanced at me for a second. "But don't carry the guilt too much, Cian. We were young and naive, even when it doesn't justify the end. His life is short but it doesn't mean he is gone. He is a part of you. He will always be a part of you. That will never change."

"I miss Lucian, Aris."

"Then miss him. It's normal, Cian. But do you even wonder that if he survived, he still needs to suffer the pain of seeing his parents in a complicated situation? Everything happens for a reason, Cian. Everything." That's what Aris said before leaving.

The night got colder kaya pumasok na din ako sa loob. I was rubbing my arms because of the cold when the door opened. I stopped moving and waited for the person to enter.

And when he finally showed, I let out a soft chuckle before running towards him and snaking my arms around his neck. I buried my face in the space between his shoulder and neck and sniffed his scent.

Luke's here.

He is here.

My lips quivered as I buried my face more. He is warm which makes me want to embrace him tighter. So I did. I felt him chuckle as he gathered my legs to put around his waist before walking. Hindi ko alam kung saan niya ako dadalhin. I don't care. I just want to be wrapped around him.

"You're here..."

"I am, baby."

Humiwalay ako sa kaniya para makita ang mukha niya. He only left a day ago but it feels like I haven't seen him in ages! My eyes scanned every part of his face until they reached his lips. It was hypnotizing. It feels like it was pulling me towards it.

I slowly reached for his lips, tasting his lips. But Luke can't handle it. I was panting as he kissed me thoroughly, exploring the deepest part of my mouth. My head is already spinning due to lack of air but I couldn't stop. My hands have a mind of their own, traveling to Luke's head and pulling his hair in desperation.

I heard Luke's groan before pulling away. His eyes are already unfocused. I looked at him confusingly. His hands are already touching my skin. I don't get the reason why he stopped. He is frustrating me. I was about to reach his lips again when he shook his head.

"Celestine, baby, no," he said, barely audible. I wondered if he really wanted me to hear it or if he is saying it for himself. What's stopping him anyway?

I sighed and pulled myself together. I removed my arms around him but stayed in my seat. "What's wrong?"

Huminga siya ng malalim bago inabot ang mukha ko. Like a slave for his touch, I followed his hand and titled my head. He smiled. "Trust me, I wanted it as much as you do. But..." he trailed off and caressed my cheeks. "I wanted to do it right, this time."

"You said, you'll be chasing me, right?" I nodded. "Well, I met your mother and sister while abroad." Nanlaki ang mata ko sa sinabi niya. "I told them about the chase and the history between us. I was aware, even before I talked to them, that you are not on good terms with them. But still, I wanted to ask for permission."

"For what?"

"To marry you."