18 - Wrong

March 2019

"Come on, Leviticus, don't be a cheapskate. You made me travel for hours just to treat me to a coffee from a vending machine? I can also afford it, you know," Lucas said to the person I was looking at.

"Cian, I almost didn't recognize you," Levi said, ignoring Lucas' statement. Lumapit siya sa akin at tumingin kay Lucas na parang tinatantya ang paligid.

"We've already met," Lucas said, making Levi sigh. "What are you..." he stopped midway when he noticed I was carrying a baby.

Levi also realized it late kaya naman nanlaki ang mata niya habang nakatingin sa batang bitbit ko. Pabalik balik ang tingin niya sa akin at kay Lucian, parehas sila ni Lucas. I cleared my throat, readying myself to speak when Tessa arrived.

"The driver will be late, Ma'am. May banggaan daw kaya matatagalan pa. Should I book a ride?"

"I could drive you home. I'm free, wala naman na akong gagawin," Lucas bravely interjected. Tumango din sa akin si Levi.

If I reject his offer, Lucas would suspect something. He's smart, it will be easy to figure out who's the father of Lucian, lalo na at mas nagiging prominent ang feature ni Luke sa bata habang tumatagal. But if I don't then I have no escape from his questions.

But Lucian already made a choice by crying.

"Go, Cian. Your kid is already crying, he must be tired. This ass is not busy anyway. I have to scrub in a while kaya maiiwan siya dito," Levi said.

I clenched my jaw before nodding at Lucas. "I'll take the offer," tumango naman ito at tumingin kay Levi. Ginaya ko siya at ningitian. "It's nice to see you again, Leviticus."

I saw him grimaced when I called him his whole name. Nag-aya naman na si Lucas kaya sumunod na kami. He opened the door for me kaya pumasok na ako sa likod. It was his suggestion para daw mas komportable which I agreed. It's actually favorable to me lalo na makakaiwas ako sa tanong niya.

Fortunately, the drive was short. Mom was already waiting for us outside kaya sinalubong niya kami and she was shocked to see Lucas driving the car. She was stunned looking at him and it took her a second before reacting.

"I... I didn't know Lucas will be driving you home, Celestine. I thought you booked a ride," Mom said uncomfortably.

"I was in the hospital to visit a friend and met Cian by chance, Mo-Ma'am." I was looking at Mom so I saw a flash of pain in her eyes as she listened to Lucas. She looked down and sighed before inviting Lucas inside.

When I was about to proceed inside the house, Lucas bravely held my arms. "Can I talk to you for a sec?"

The truth is, I don't want to, that's why I was hesitating. Because I could hear the questions he will throw and I'm not sure yet what answer am I supposed to give. But then... it's Lucas. He is one of the most considerate people I've known.

Considering that, I thought maybe... I should start with him. He is Luke's brother so I could visualize what will be Luke's reaction by the time I tell him the truth - at least I could prepare myself a bit.

Binawi ko ang braso ko mula sa pagkakahawak niya at inabot kay Tessa si Lucian. I kissed Lucian's forehead before letting him go. Then I looked at my mom who was quietly watching us. "We'll just talk in the garden, Mom," I said and kissed her cheeks.

I felt Lucas' presence behind me kaya hindi na ako lumingon para tignan kung sumusunod ba siya. And in our garden, we are alone. There was light from the decorative lamps hanging in the tree, the night breeze was making its presence known, and the darkness is slowly embracing us.