36 - Celestine

May 2019

"Celestine." Just one word from me, her eyes become moist and her lips quivered. I have the urge to pull her into my arms and just forget about everything that happened... just treat everything as a dream.

But I know I cannot do that - we cannot do that. We both know that.

Because we're both at our breaking point. We are both at the verge of breaking ourselves for each other. And that's probably the worst thing you could do to your partner - choosing to break yourselves than save yourselves.

My hand rose on its own and caressed her cheeks. I even managed to give her a smile to let her know that I'm okay. Because at the end of the day, we just have ourselves.

I know that she was aware of my family's situation but she doesn't have to stay for that. My family did their best to keep everything intact but I guess, it's just not working anymore. This is actually the perfect time for Celestine to go. I don't want her to be dragged in my messy life.

Her beautiful eyes locked into mine and she whispered the words that symbolize the closure of our chapter. A tear slid down on her cheeks as she said, "Our intertwined fate... ends here."

Then she bowed her head as she silently cries. Hindi ko kayang makitang siyang umiiyak dahil pakiramdam ko sa bawat patak ng luha niya ay unti-unti akong nawawasak.

Bumaba ang kamay ko mula sa pisngi niya pababa sa baba niya. I let her see that she doesn't have to weep. I nodded at her and wiped her tears one last time. "Luke..."

"It's okay. It's okay, Celestine." I told her even though I felt like it is somewhat of a curse that I have to live by. "It's time to go." You have to go, otherwise, I would end up begging you to stay. She's already in pain and I don't want to inflict her more.

I could still remember that day as if it only happened yesterday. Her eyes, her voice, and her expression, it's all the same.

"Please, Dad," the woman cried. I was stupefied like I was struck by a lightning. And in my case, a flying punch.

I don't know what was happening. The woman I was dancing with in the Elite Club is begging to her father for something. And I was holding my jaw because of the punch I just received. I looked around and saw my parents in the corner of the private dining room.

They look problematic. Is it because of me? Is that why they called me here? And why the hell should I witness this scene? No, should we really be watching them like this? I mean, it's kind of private conversation so I don't get why I should be here.

"No." It was stern and frightening voice of the father. He looked at me in fury and was about to launch another punch when the other woman stopped him.

"But I don't even know him!" The woman countered which made her father look back at her.

"Then you shouldn't have dance so obscenely like that! You could have avoided being a disgrace! And you could avoided making our family complicated!"

The woman looked at me in the eye. There was something in there. The way she looked at me was like she was begging to be rescued. Her gaze tells me that I should do something to make the pain in her eyes go away.

I'm drawn to her eyes that I didn't notice I was walking towards her direction. I only realized what I've done when her gaze changed. I avoided the gaze and slowly helped her to stand up. Her eyes are still following my movements that I can't help but be nervous.

Oh man, this is gold. Luke Augustus is having nervous breakdown because of a woman's stare.

"I'll take responsibility of my action, Sir."