28 - Call

May 2021

"Sorry, I'm late!" Bati ko kay Aris na naghihintay sa pizza place na tinutukoy niya. He actually asked yesterday if I'm free before telling me that he recently discovered another good place to eat.

And I can't deny the food! These days I've been focusing on my food - and no, I'm not pregnant. I don't know but eating distracts me from Luke and I think it's a good thing. Besides, who doesn't like good food anyway?

 Binaba ni Aris ang hawak niyang phone nang makita ako. "Hello there miss. Ready for pizza?"

"Of course," I replied and ordered. While waiting, I looked around the place. It really amazes me how Aris could find these places. Some were popular but some aren't. Minsan sobrang hirap pa hanapin nung lugar but the food was worth it.

There was a time when we got lost by following Waze. It really took us an hour to locate the right place after several wrong turns and roads. Apparently, the owner said they had to move place. She even told us the story of the restaurant. 

It was founded by her husband but he passed away years ago and she decided to change the place because all she can see was her husband. She said she doesn't want to move but she can't be in pain all the time.

"Aris! Come, take a picture of me," I said and stood up. I dragged Aris to the spot where the lake is visible. I want to have a memory of this place. Aris obliged and made me pose several times. Syempre, sinama ko din siya sa ilang picture.

I posted one on my social media account and it was a few seconds after when my phone vibrated for a call. When I looked at the caller, I excused myself and went out to answer.

"Luke."

I was about to call his name again because he isn't responding when I heard him breathing on the other line. "You're in Tagaytay?"

So he saw the picture already? "Yes, why?"

"And with Aristotle?"

"Again, yes, and why?" I asked but he didn't say anything again. "Luke," I called but when I looked at my phone, the call already ended.

That occupied my mind for minutes even when I sat at the table. Aris noticed my silence but it seems like he knew that something was up that he didn't question me. But I realized I am being bad company that's why I tried my best to ignore the call and focus on the food.

"The food is good but did not reach my top restos," I said as I finished my food. I looked at Aris and he was staring at me intently. "What's with the stare?"

He released a sigh. "Are you sure it's the food or you just can't appreciate anything right now?"

Well, it was partly true. "The food is really not my liking, Aris. Don't think too much of it."

"Can I ask you something, Cian? And can you answer me honestly?"

Being honest seems like a disease now. But it's Aris and even if I lie, he can still sense it. Besides, he is a friend of Luke, surely, I can't hide anything when it comes to us.

"Sure, honestly," I answered and braced myself for brutal reality.

"You still love Luke?"

I said, brutal reality, not a bomb. I chuckled and took a deep breath. "That was one hell of a question, Aris," I said but he only gave me a shrug.

"In all honesty, I don't think I can ever love someone as much I did with Luke. True, I could love somebody - in an easy way, with no complications. But with Luke, even with complications and heartaches, I think... I could survive."

I smiled. "But loving someone doesn't mean being with them. I could still love him and be far away from him. Because sometimes, love isn't enough, Aris."

Aris then chuckled. "You know people who don't know your story could easily tell that you are still in love with him. The way your eyes sparkle when you talk about him and how your voice relaxed when it's about him," he shook his head. "I just wish life would be easy on both of you. It's damn hard to witness both of you suffer."

"Well, a lot of things already happened, Aris. Whether by force or choice," I said.

"Wala ka ba talagang balak sabihin kay Sim ang totoo? She at least deserves to know the past. You're friends with her, remember?"

I sighed. "We were... but Sim's too nice. I don't think letting her know the past will do any good."

He was about to speak when his phone vibrated which earned both of our attention. He looked at it for a moment before excusing himself to answer the call. He didn't leave the table but he faced sideward when he answered. "I'm out - what? Fuck. Fine."

Then he faced me and bit his lip. I already guessed what the call is about. "You have to leave? You could go ahead though. I want to stay here for a while, to enjoy the scenery and -"

"Luke's in the hospital."

"What happened to him? I just talked to him earlier!" I said while Aris is driving. He didn't respond and only impatiently tapped the steering wheel. We are still out of the city and the traffic's already killing us.

"It was Sim who called to inform me about Luke's situation. I don't know anything else, Cian."

I took out my phone and dialed Lucas' number. "I know you heard what happened that's why you're calling but I'm still on my way to the hospital, Celestine."

"W-Who can I c-call then?"

"Simoune. She's the only person with him right now as we speak. She was at the hospital when Luke was rushed. Where are you now?"

I bit my lip and glanced at the traffic ahead of us. "Bound to enter the city. Please, call me right away if you heard anything."

"Alright. But Celestine, keep your emotions intact. If you don't want your secrets spilled then keep your head clear. It's already a mess that Luke is hospitalized."

"I know, I know," I said and ended the call. Please, please move.

My prayers were heard when we finally entered the city and arrived at our destination - the hospital.