Chapter 62.

I smiled as I watched Oaklyn finish off her noodles, still letting out happy noises at how good it tasted as she worked her chopsticks effortlessly. We decided to get Chinese for dinner, eating as we watched a movie, Oaklyn insisted on Lilo and Stitch, and although I was never a huge Disney movie fan, she has converted me fully.

"So, ohm, good!" She said happily, closing her eyes as she chewed, no doubt savoring the taste.

I chuckled at her cuteness, squeezing her knee that was on my lap. She opened her eyes as she swallowed, placed the takeaway box on the coffee table in front of us, and snuggled into my side. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, bringing her closer and pressing a kiss on her forehead.

She smiled at me as she leaned up, moving her lips to mine and kissing me softly.
"I think we should talk about this now," I sighed softly, making her pause. She pulled back after a few moments, blinking at me.

"I don't think there's much to talk about," She shrugged softly, eyes remaining on mine.

"Well I disagree, Oaklyn. So much shit went down, you-" I stopped.

"Say it," She ordered, not angrily, but sternly.

Shit, shit, shit.

"Oaklyn-" I sighed, shaking my head softly.

"Say it, Caiden," She cut me off.

I hesitated.
"You killed your father," I muttered softly.

She had no reaction, she only stared at me blankly.
"Yes, I killed my father. I think it's simple what happened," She answered, and I could tell she was starting to get defensive.

"I didn't-"

"I know what I did, Caiden. I know that I sliced his throat open, and people are pissed about it, and I need to make a public speech and face my mother and-"

I took her hands in mine, squeezing softly.
"I don't give a fuck about those people, you don't need to answer to anybody. What I meant was... how are you feeling about it?" I questioned softly, making her freeze, eyes softening as she looked at me.

"Guilty," She muttered sadly.

I opened my mouth, to try and comfort her, but she started again.
"Guilty I don't feel bad about what I did. I still feel like I have his blood on me like it's everywhere, and it's just a constant reminder of what I did, and that if I had to make that choice again, I wouldn't change it." She finished, swallowing thickly.
"Am I a monster for that? Does that make me a bad person?" She questioned quietly, doubting herself.

"No, no of course you aren't. Everyone deals with grief differently, Oaklyn," I muttered, stroking my thumb over her hand.

"But I feel I'm not grieving at all, I woke up feeling like normal, and even now, acknowledging what I've done, and I still don't feel bad about what I've done," She explained, glancing down at our hands.

"That's a good thing," I muttered softly, tilting up her face so she was looking at me again. She furrowed her brows, clearly confused as to why that was good.
"It's better to be confident and sure of your actions, rather than want to take anything back, especially in something like this," I explained, she nodded slowly.

"I suppose that makes sense," She admitted, falling silent.

We sat in silence for a few moments.
"How did you get over it?" She questioned, making my eyes rise to her face.

"Get over what?" I asked.

"Your first kill... how did-? How long did it take?" She muttered, watching me sadly.