Chapter 39

The Home-going

The casket was centered at the front of the chapel with flowers covering the entire top. Off to the right,  was an arch of cascading Lillies. As more and more people continued to fill the chapel inside Helmsville Funeral Home it appeared it would be standing room only remaining. Most thought the majority of the people coming to pay their last respects would be the people from Kingdom Hall, but it was an even mix of Jehovah Witnesses and folks from the community. Mrs. Ophelia Louise Greene had created quite a legacy. She had become known as the savior lady. It didn't matter what your sin was, she always had an empathetic ear, open heart and warm hug for anyone who needed it. She was a very stern lady, but fair. Up close to the front of the chapel, Hollywood sat motionless with his hands resting on his thighs, as he did on many occasions. He still had his signature sideburns, but they were tapered in a neat half moon down the side of his face that connected with a full beard. He wore an opaque pair of black sunglasses. Right next to him sat the love of his life, Brisha. On the pew two rows behind him sat retired Sheriff Steve Roberts, or Greasy Steve as he had become known over the years, who was now ninety one years old. Greasy Steve's health had long ago started to fail him and he was accompanied by his great grandson Deputy Liam Roberts and his wife Madison. As it came time to view the body, the funeral attendants started ushering the guests forward starting with the pews at the back of the chapel up to the front. When they got to the pew with Greasy Steve, it took an unimaginable long time. Greasy Steve had a push-seat walker with an oxygen tank stored in the basket underneath. Although he walked with long strides, each step seemed to be delayed.  His grandson Liam walked to the right of him with Liam's wife Madison, flanking to his left. Unfortunately, no one suspected it would take even longer when the ushers got to Hollywoods pew. After a few seconds of remaining motionless, Brisha gently wrapped her arm thru his with a slight nudge. He slowly rose to his feet with her in unison right beside him. An attendant leaned in to grab his hand and let him know it was okay for him to walk  to the end of the pew and out into the aisle, which he did. Now standing in the aisle, he was fully visible with Brisha on his left side steadying him, and a walking stick in his right hand to help guide him forward without bumping into anything. Unbeknownst to everyone, Harvey "Hollywood" Greene had lost his sight in both eyes. At the young age of only sixty, he was now being guided by a walking stick and his longtime love, Brisha. The other thing that no one knew was that his best friend forever, Hoochie, already had a team of the best eye specialists in the country on standby at the Wilson - Walker Eye Institute waiting to perform a high tech surgery that would go in behind his eyeball to insert an artificial retina and hopefully restore his sight. It wasn't a guarantee it could be achieved, but the surgeons were top notch and everyone involved were hopeful. Whatever it would take to restore Hollywood's sight, Hoochie was ready to move forward on it. Money wasn't an object at all. He had been rich a long time. He had a genius mind. One that was unmatched in capability, as well as creativity. He had his wealth "put up" in a high reaching place.