Chapter 33

Bells a' be ringing
June 2007

Cazee Shelton's freshly applied makeup had become moist and a bit sticky. Tiny beads of perspiration had formed around her hairline on her forehead, and she could feel the sweat starting to bead up under her robe. As she paced back and forth in front of the window that overlooked the property's bird sanctuary, she pulled her white satin robe around her tighter. She watched as a Rainbow Lorikeet played on a twig. It's eyes shone bright and feathers appeared smooth. It didn't seem to have a care in the world, and neither did she, except for the fact she couldn't find her mother. Cazee knew she was over reacting. Any other day would've been okay, but today was a special day. A very special day indeed. It was her wedding day. But, where was her mother? She had always been there when Cazee needed her. She knew where her bridesmaids were, but she needed her mother. The lady named Vanessa that raised her from age seven may have not been her birth mother, but she was the best darn adopted mother anyone could ask for, and it was proven through the activities of her childhood. Cazee's upbringing had consisted of neoclassical dance recitals and English equitation, specifically hunter jumper competitions and dressage shows.

She still had fond memories of Highland Park Boarding, the private school she had attended during her youth. It wasn't one of those fancy overseas schools, yet it was still a prestigious school. It had given her the academic edge she needed to make it into a top Ivy League University and on to graduate school earning her a M.B.A. in Finance. Today, she held a top salaried position as Controller of a large multi million dollar insurance firm with a secondary position as an independent auditor in the banking industry, putting her annual salary over five hundred thousand. All of this at twenty eight years old.

Dr. Robert Inglish, the man she was set to marry, was a board certified neurosurgeon that specialized in sports injuries. He worked on the top athletes of the National Football League, National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball. At thirty four years old, his annual salary commanded around three million. Although he was brought up in Kansas, he had since moved Eastward which is how they had met at a Baltimore Ravens game. Cazee wasn't really into sports, and she had only attended the game to see what all the fuss was regarding some football player named Ray Lewis, who was supposedly the fiercest middle linebacker in the game. She didn't know anything about football, let alone the different positions, but she felt an obligation to support the team despite being raised in Tennessee, because her career had established Maryland as her home. Plus, it worked wonders for her career. Most of her client accounts were held by local retirees who were huge fans of the team, and it was in her best interest to be knowledgeable about it to win them over.

And, today in her bridal suite on the private grounds of The Huntington Estate, over the French doors hung the most elegant Vera Wang wedding gown on a white satin wrapped hanger that she would wear to walk down the aisle and say her vows. Beside it hung a lace three quarter sleeve Maggie Sottero dress that she would change into for the reception. The wedding chapel had been filled with over twenty five thousand white orchids that were flown in from Tokyo, Japan and the aisle was stunningly decorated with large glass lanterns at the end of each pew. Strung high across the beamed cathedral ceiling was the soft flitter of twinkling lights overflowing through the massive arrangement of fresh flowers cascading across it. Up at the front of the chapel, by the altar, the glossy stillness of the deep blue lake sparkled from the glint of the sun rays that bounced off its surface. It stretched wide and it's all the eyes could see through the floor to ceiling, clear glass windows that formed a ninety degree curved arch around the altar. Upstairs, in the grand ballroom where the reception would take place, awaited the ornately decorated wedding cake. Ten foot tall in stature, it was comprised of fourteen separate tiers, each consisting of a different filling flavor and icing color, and the entire confection rested squarely in the center of the room. Scattered throughout the remainder of the room were five additional cakes of varying sizes, themes and flavors. The largest one was a traditional chocolate cake, made for Robert, that was in the shape of M&T Bank Stadium. The smallest one had been sculpted into a horses head with a wreath of hand painted rolled fondant flowers around its neck that included a ribbon with the initials SS on it. The SS stood for Shelton Stables and the entire decorated setup was edible. Cazee had it made to make sure her mother, Vanessa Shelton, felt especially included. Now it was disappointing that she hadn't made it there yet, as she was always punctual for every scheduled event. Just where was she?