Chapter 8

We Got a Warrant  Apr. 11, 1963                                              Wagonwood St. - Helmsville

The long grassy driveway leading to Hoochie's daddy's house was blocked by two police cruisers parked at the edge of the street. The officers wanted to talk to Hoochie and they began immediately questioning him about his whereabouts on February 08th, when he finally stepped outside and into the yard.

"Awe, I'm sorry the bank got robbed. Soon as I'm not here, seems like that's when all the big action happens," Hoochie sheepishly told the officers. He continued with, "My cousin was telling me 'bout it though. I mean, everybody's talkin' 'bout it."

"So, where were you," the greasy looking chubby officer asked Hoochie, all the while his fellow officer standing not far behind him and slightly off to his right side.

"I left outta Helmsville," Hoochie calmly responded.

"Oh, did you now, boy?"

"Yes sir," Hoochie replied, not batting an eyelash.

"Well, where did you go," the greasy looking chubby officer asked.

"Well, matter fact, I was outta the country."

Now even more interested the greasy looking officer thought in silence for a few seconds before he asked, "You in the Army?"

With the straightest face ever Hoochie replied, "No sir, I was in Miles City."

In disbelief the greasy looking officer asked,"Montana?"

"Yes sir," Hoochie proudly responded, "I was visiting my aunt and uncle."

The greasy policeman started laughing as Hoochie stood there looking  puzzled.

"Scuse me Mr. po-leece man, but can I ask you what's so funny?"

"Boy, Montana ain't out of the country. It's just over the Wyoming state line."

"But that's where I was," Hoochie said with slight watery eyes at this point, like his pride had been hurt by the officer laughing at him.

This made the greasy looking policeman laugh even harder with his sidekick officer joining in this time. The greasy looking officer was laughing so uncontrollably, he could barely get his words out, "You just went to another state, not another country fool. C'mon Billy this kids 'bout as stupid as they come, let's go."

Billy chuckled to his greasy looking partner as they walked away, "Wait til the boys down at the station hear this Steve."

"I know," greasy Steve said between fits of hysterical laughter and gasping for air, "don't I know!"

Hoochie stood still never moving from his original stance until the policemen had gotten in their cars and driven out of sight. It was then a sly grin slowly spread across his lips as he whispered aloud, "Stupid ass motherfucka's." He would teach them about trying to take him fast. The sheer audacity of their lack of belief in him was comical, to say the least. It was later the same day that Hoochie was coming out of a long hard nap. He had went inside to lay down on the sofa after Greasy Steve and his sidekick had left. The news was on the tv with the volume up a little loud. The usual news lady was on there talking so it must have been around five o'clock. Hoochie was still a little groggy, but he was slowly starting to make sense of the words coming out of her mouth.

The suspect that allegedly robbed the American Citizens Bank has been arrested and put behind bars. Police caught him leaving Helmsville Grocery store. They suspected it was him because he was wearing the same brown turtleneck sweater and brown corduroys worn by the suspect the day the bank was robbed when police chased him down an alleyway. His name is Harvey Greene and at seventeen years old, which is considered an adult, he is looking at 10 to 15 years for the crime committed. Reporting for Channel six news, I'm Amanda Godwin.

Holy shit! Hoochie couldn't believe his ears. What was Hollywood doing behind bars? Damn! Those matching outfits were a present from Big Star two Christmases ago. Big Star was the local pimp, not a pimp, but THE PIMP! He may be from little small Helmsville, Wyoming, but he was still a big timer. He had moved away to Albuquerque two years ago, but everyone from around town still knew and respected him. He had street credit like a motherfucker. Who didn't know Big Star or want to be like him. Since moving to Albuquerque his life had changed drastically. He had all the hoes, and a big wad of cash on him all the time. He was the flyest dresser, and on top of all that, he drove a bad ass Cadillac. 

Some way Hoochie had to talk to Hollywood. He needed to know why, of all the things in the world, Hollywood had chosen to wear the exact same outfit he had worn to rob the bank. Especially, so soon after the shit went down. Little did Hoochie know, he was going to get his chance sooner than he realized. Greasy Steve was back and banging on his daddy's front door yelling, "OPEN UP. WE GOT A WARRANT. WE GOT A WARRANT FOR YOU HOOCHIE!"